Freeway Express / Google Question

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MickeyH, Sep 3, 2008.

1. MickeyH macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

Forgive what may be a query of rather noobesque proportions but here it is...re Freeway Express:

How do I change the text that appears under my website's name/banner when it crops up in Google? At present all I see are the titles of various graphic images from the page. I have tried imbedding some text in the page but to no avail...

...any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Mick

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

So you're asking how to affect Google when it indexes your site that you created with Freeway Express?

If so, please note Google takes a few weeks to pickup changes sometimes due to the large number of sites involved and its indexing protocols. Although Google generally scans your content and creates the index that you see based on the content first, there are two meta commands in the header of your HTML which can affect Google somewhat:

How to add meta sequences in FreeWay Express: Download the PDF here and read pages 339-340, it's very easy

HTML:
    <meta name="keywords" content="keyword1,keyword2..." />
    <meta name="description" content="Brief grammatically correct nice looking description of the page or site." />

The first is a series a keywords that help users find your site, add no more than 100-150, include plural versions of words, most important words first.

The second is more relevant to your question, I've seen the description show directly below the page link in Google search results so it's very important. As my example above suggestions, a sentence or two of grammatically correct description of your site. I always include the keyword meta when giving advice like this as it doesn't hurt to have both specified, every little bit helps even if modern indexing might focus more on content than keywords.

Things to remember:

* Make sure the keywords match actual content of your site otherwise the search engine will rank you lower
    * Limit 255 characters each field, shorter is better
    * If your pages are dynamic, use a unique description for each or simply append the name of the page on the right, i.e. add " - Home" or " - Menu Item 1 Name" from your menu, just to distinguish it from other pages
    * Allow a few weeks for Google to pick up on changes

Hope this helps ya!

-jim

3. MickeyH thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Woody11792 macrumors newbie

Website Filling full page when previewed or published to web

Hi

I have noticed whilst using Freeway Express 5.5 to create a company website that when previewed the website does not fill the whole page and I am left with a white strip down the right hand side and am unable to extend the page length thus resulting in scrolling being unavailable on the site.

I am not so much worried about the scrolling but would really like the whole page to be filled as this is slightly annoying and unprofessional:confused:. Is this possible?

I hope someone can help

Woody