Freeze and 3 beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JTyler82, Aug 6, 2012.

1. JTyler82 macrumors regular

Okay, so I JUST got my MBP today (Late 2011). and first thing I did was install 8GB of Corsair ram.

I ran my computer fine. I Got from UPS, and installed, all in about 45min (after doing first boot up). I installed Mountain Lion a few hours later, and everything was fine.

I was installing WOW & Steam and all of a sudden the 3 beep alarm went off. I looked at my screen and part of it was pixelated, and my computer froze.

Both ram sticks are in securely, for this isn't my first time installing ram, and I've shut off, Rebooted since then and never got beeps.

Should I be worried? I don't really wanna unscrew the 11 screws again. but I noticed, when I took the back off, I had to Pop it off, like a cell phone back, but when I put it back on, it didn't snap back on, it just sat there and i screwed everything back together

help?

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I got the same three beeps when I upgraded my RAM in my MBP, but it was RIGHT after installation, not after a while. Reseating the RAM fixed it, so that's what I'd recommend you do. Make sure the RAM sticks are in very well and secure and boot it up again. Also make sure you have the right screws going in the right places, as different length screws will go into different parts of the back cover. Make sure the back is on securely after making sure you know which screws go where.

Cheers.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Create a bootable USB drive with memtest86+ and run a few loops to check for errors.

4. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

If it doesn't do it again, am I out of the water?

I've encountered a similar problem with my Windows laptop, sometimes during patch download, it would Freeze.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I would do the testing and troubleshooting now so it doesn't fail or crash later when you're in the middle of something important.

6. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a mac test i can do? It happened almost 3 hours ago, and hasn't happened since. I've rebooted, and shut down too. and played a few games.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I believe you can reboot the computer press and hold down "D" before it chimes and it will bring up the Apple hardware test. The extended test should catch any errors.

8. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Here's the AHT.

9. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

if it's bad ram, wouldn't it have done it a lot more than one time?

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Not always. RAM errors can happen randomly, usually more often under a heavy load. Running AHT or memtest86+ overnight while you sleep is a good test.

11. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright bro. You were right. I did AHT and Got this error;

4/mem/9/40000000: 0x846b5698

after doing some research, just the fact I got a 4/mem/9/40 means the ram is not stable, or defective. Which is weird, In all my life being an IT, If ram wasn't compatible, or had problems, the machine just wouldn't start up or have errors constantly.

I guess I'll be taking back that ram.

12. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

guess i'll be popping in the old ram today when I put my solid state in today. Ugh. Bummer...

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You could try re-seating the RAM before you return it. The first time I installed upgraded memory into my MBP, I got an error in AHT. I opened it up and removed the memory, inspected the slots and reinstalled it. Ran AHT to test and haven't had a problem since.

14. JTyler82 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try that

15. goRoostr macrumors member

That's normal, it won't snap back on when re-installing the back. When installing the screws off set which ones you screw back on. Do something like the second from the top left, than the second from the bottom right and so on. It will make your cover sit flush. Also remember to put the screws back in at an angle.