freeze on blackrain screen !

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by im-the-dude, Feb 11, 2010.

1. im-the-dude macrumors newbie

Hi Everybody....:):)

So when I first got my iphone a couple of weeks ago, I did a jailbreak with Blackra1n. It was easy and worked the first time.....

I have had no problems with rebooting it (when new apps had been installed) or when the battery has run dried.....i just hit the "make it ra1n" button and boom....back to business.

Then yesterday the battery died again (sometimes that happens hehe), the "connect to itunes" screen turned up ....then when i used "blackra1n" it just got stocked at the lovely picture of George Hotz.
    The program tells me "the iphone has succesfully been jail...blah blah", like the last 20 times i have tried it.....put the screen just freeze and wont reboot :(

I have tried to reed about it in different foras....but couldt find ANYTHING about it. (yeah well....restore it...but 3.1.3....hell no)...
    i have also tried that 10 sec hold on both buttons.....

My iphone is a 3GS and has the 3.1.2....it has cydia on the phone and has been jailbroken.

Does anybody have a clue on whats going on ? ....im going crazy here and cant seem to find a solution....:confused:

Thanks alot everybody.....:apple:

Dude

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

oh no your totally screwed. the iphone is completely useless and can never be used again even if its been restored.

*sarcasm*

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you have your SHSHs on file in Cydia you can restore to 3.1.2 using saurik's solution.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

he has a tethered jailbreak, like me....so your saying if i create a custom pwned firmware from pwnage tool, that i can restore to 3.1.2? all this time youve been saying we cant restore but now your saying this. its im either confused, or youve found information that you didnt tell anyone yet. also if this does work, its still a tethered jailbreak so i would need blackra1n to boot up right? or does blackra1n not boot custom firmwares? i think it does...just never tried it. also he said that he didnt download cydia, he only downloaded sn0w, and then erased the blackra1n app. so theres no way he could have saved his SHSH on saurik's server. but if i can restore to a custom firmware, and then boot with blackra1n, that would save me if i had to restore. please clarify that as its very interesting.

EDIT: so now you edit your post and take that pwnage tool stuff away and ruin my hopes...lol.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I had missed that he had the new bootrom, and edited my post within moments of originally posting it. Only pwned phones can be restored to custom firmwares, and, sadly, your phones cannot be pwned.

I only recently found out, however, that those of with pwned 3GS's can still restore to custom 3.1.2 firmware files even if we do not have our SHSH's on file or saved as long as we can get our phones into recovery mode (not DFU mode). This was news to me, but it should be welcome news for anyone with the old baseband.

6. im-the-dude thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds great !! Do you have any direct link to his solution ?

and btw: Thanks :)

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

8. im-the-dude thread starter macrumors newbie

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I hope it works for you.

10. im-the-dude thread starter macrumors newbie

Phew thanks...:)

Im gonna take some notes and post the result.........

11. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

wait a second thelatinist, so it has been confirmed that 3gs users with new bootrom can restore to a custom firmware, and then boot with blackra1n? or is it just 3gs users with the old bootrom?

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

As I said, pwned 3GS's. When talking about iPhones, to pwn means to remove the security checks from the bootloader. Pwning is what allows a modified firmware to be installed on a phone, and what allows a phone to boot to a jailbroken firmware. Currently, only 3GS's with the old bootrom can be pwned because Apple has removed the exploit which allowed jailbreakers to inject arbitrary code within the bootloader; that's why 3GS's with the new bootrom can only have a tethered jailbreak.

Those of us with the old bootrom who have pwned our phones, as long as we don't foolishly upgrade to a stock firmware (or, as the OP did, delete our pwned firmware), can continue to restore to custom firmware -- including, as I just learned, firmwares Apple no longer signs even without SHSH's saved.

13. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

argh! i had two iphones, a 16 gb, and a 32 gb. i sent my 16gb back to at&t for more memory. but i accidentally, jailbroke my 16gb...(dont ask me how lol), and it was untethered. so im starting to think if i would have bought a 32gb instead of a 16gb at the time, i would have an untethered jailbreak. =/

14. burnsy00 macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem.
    My phone is exactly the same specs, 3GS, tethered jailbreak, all that jazz. and today same thing, phone froze for some reason. Rebooted it and it's stuck on the blackrain screen for about 2 mins then it restarts.

I dont really get the whole shsh's thing but what exactly do i need to do here?

Did you eventually find something that worked?
    Do i have to restore it? and if i do, do i lose all my data?

can someone let me know as soon as they can, i kinda need this workin.
    Cheers guys.
    Burnsy