Freeze-ups on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c073186, Apr 8, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Every so often, in three applications (Pages, Numbers, or iWeb, I have not experienced this in any other application), my computer completely freezes. My cursor alternates between the beach ball and a regular cursor about every 30-40 seconds. Other than that my computer is completely locked; even if I scroll over dock icons, the names do not appear over them. I cannot even open the 'Force Quit' box to exit the program. Absolutely nothing works other than holding the power button on my computer. A reinstallation of the programs (and in fact, a reformat of my entire computer) has not solved this. It is very frustrating because every time it happens I lose everything I was working on. Is this a known issue and what can I do to solve it?

2. macsrules macrumors regular

Is all your ram the same name brand or is it a mixture? I had a conflict with my first batch of ram that I bought from other world computing, had to send it back for an exchange.

Not saying this will work but here is what I would do.

Since you have reinstalled and you are still having this problems, I would do the following.

1. First, I would add some more ram, add all the same name brand. www.otherworldcomputing.com

2. Put the operating system installation disk in and start the reinstall.

3. When it loads and you go to install after the second or third window, go into the menu and select I think it is utilities, disk utility.

4. Go to the partian tab. Set it to 1 and then hit erase.

Oh ya, make sure the option is set to format for an intel mac same when you zero out.

5. When this is done, go to the erase tab, hit the option button and set it to zero out the hard drive.

6. When done, quit disk utlities and finish the install.

7. On the reboot hold down hold down Command + Option + p + r Hold that down till your computer restarts then let go.

8. Then finish the install by going through all the Apple Information, get all the updates from apple for the operating system.

9. Once that is done install the trial version of Mac Freeze http://www.faronics.com/html/DFMac.asp before installing Pages, Numbers, or iWeb, that way it will not stick on reboot just incase this does not fix the problem. They won't stay installed on the reboot.

10. If you do all this and add more ram and make sure that it is all the same brand and still have problems, there is something wrong with your hard drive or computer or the software that you are installing. If this fixes the problem go into Mac Freeze and set it to boot thawed on the reboot and reinstall Pages, Numbers, or iWeb for the last time hopefully.

Good luck

3. AZBigBear macrumors newbie

AZBigBear

Freeze up started today

I'm getting the exact same freeze up symptoms. Seems like iWeb is causing the issue in my case. It just started today and I have had the Mac Pro for about 1 month with no issues doing lots more intense CPU & Mem tasks (Aperture, iMovie, multi VMware instances, etc).

Any others seeing this?

Not going to reinstall at this point...unless things get worse.:cool:

Stock 2.8 +2GB RAM (TransIntl), 500GB Seagate HDD, 8800GT.