Freezes after hooking up display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by clooner, Apr 20, 2009.

1. clooner macrumors newbie

This week I hooked up a new lcd monitor to my mac but it now seems more unstable. I had complete os freezes 4 times this week(for this never) and it reacts more slow. I use the mini display port to hdmi adapter(monoprice.com) and the screen is running at 1920x1200. I have the 2,4 ghz unibody macbook with 2 gb ram.

Does anyone have an idea about the problem and or solution?

Thank you,

Jerome

2. foothead macrumors regular

It depends. What GPU do you have? The resolution is really high on the monitor, so it may be loading up the graphics.

3. clooner thread starter macrumors newbie

The gpu is the nvidia graphics one which comes standard with the 2.4ghz unibody macbook.

4. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Perhaps try an SMC reset? That cleared up some external display issues I was having a few days ago.

To do this, unplug everything but power. Then simultaneously press Shift-Control-Option plus the power button. This must be done using the left side of the built-in keyboard. Wait 5 seconds or longer, then power up the Macbook.

Unfortunately, there's no sure-fire way to tell if this was done correctly like with zapping the PRAM, so it might be a good idea to try if a couple times if it doesn't seem to resolve your issues.