Freezes at login!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Johda, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Johda macrumors newbie

Hi!

I seamlessly upgraded my MBP to lion and at each time I started my mac I entered my password instantly and logged in, no problem. Everything works fine.

BUT!
    If I start or restart and wait about 10 seconds on the log in screen everything freezes, the pointer is thinking and I can't enter the password! I can move my mouse but the cursor isn't blinking and I can't for example dimming the screen up or down.

If I'm already logged in and my mac goes to sleep, I can wake it up and wait as long as I want before enter the password, the problem doesn't occur.

Best regards,
    Johan

2. fieroMBP macrumors newbie

same problem

Hey,
    I have the SAME EXACT problem with my 2010 MBP
    everything works fine except if i wait more than several seconds to enter my password from turning on or restarting my laptop lion freezes and i can't click on anything or type anything at the login screen

3. Voch macrumors member

I'm having this problem too on my C2D Mac mini with Lion on its own separate partition. I've been following this "Beachballing on login screen" Apple discussions thread and had no success with the "remove the apple id" (none of my users had one set up, but I did enter one on the installation registration screen).

Admittedly it could be my Western Digital hard drive that had parking problems that I solved in Snow Leopard with hdapm (didn't get far enough in Lion to install that yet).

I'm trying a clean whole-drive install tomorrow morning.

4. Johda thread starter macrumors newbie

Disabling "Automatic graphics switching" solved the issue, at least I hope so. Poor battery...

I also had issues with mission control if all my running apps windows were maximized, this was solved by disabling the above feature.

5. Johda thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. It didn't solve my mission control issue.

6. Johda thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a clean install of Lion today and the issue was gone. But! When I first ran CleanMyMac the issue was back.

Thus, the problem is CleanMyMac.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.