Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hi friends,

Occasionally, when syncing my iPhone, it will "Backup" the iPhone forever and never complete, forcing me to cancel the process and no syncing occurs. The only temporary remedy I've found is unchecking "Sync Calendars" or "Sync Contacts" - any kind of change seems to help - but I'd prefer to sync all my data simply.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

(it freezes at exactly the status level indicated in the attached image). iTunes is not frozen, but the backup does not progress).

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 195

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
are you on 2.1? i had that problem pre 2.1 where it would take ages i mean ages (8hr) to get through the backup process so i stop it from backup.

But now on 2.1 backup is only around 2 min

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Go into preferences and reset your sync history. Before you reset, delete the current backup(s) in iTunes, then plug your iPhone in and make a new backup. The first one will take some time but allow it to complete then your future ones will be very quick unless you do a mass app change.

Good Luck

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Go into preferences and reset your sync history. Before you reset, delete the current backup(s) in iTunes, then plug your iPhone in and make a new backup. The first one will take some time but allow it to complete then your future ones will be very quick unless you do a mass app change.

Good Luck

hmm no luck, I delete the backup but it still doesn't work...

topmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Here Is The Solution

The solution is this:

Behind your itunes is a popup window asking if you want to sync your contacts and/or calendars.

Select "yes" or "no" and your eternal syncing problems will be over.

http://www.1-800-company.com

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
AppSniper, when the option to show icons is on, was causing this to happen to me. Turn icons off before syncing and times return to normal.

gteezy

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Freezes at Backup too

I have the same issue and have tried everything you all have offered. My phone has been stuck on "Backing up" at a place similar to the original thread poster. If I click the "x" to stop the backup, it will sync calandars and other info. It simply will not complete the backup. Currently my phone has been "backing up" for the last hour. I plan to leave it in this state all day to see what happens. Please let me know if there are anymore ideas. After 5 calls Customer Service is stumped as well. Help!

gteezy

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
problem fixed

Okay, after deleting the backup as you suggested which had an odd date ending in the year 2000, (which is imposible as I have only had the iphone for 3 months and the computer for 1 week) and reseting the history, I let the backup run for the last 2 hours. Sync was finally complete. The next time I backed up took maybe 30 sec. Thanks for the help.

mattnicolls

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
topmac is right - thanks man!

The solution is this:

Behind your itunes is a popup window asking if you want to sync your contacts and/or calendars.

Select "yes" or "no" and your eternal syncing problems will be over.

I figured it wouldn't be that easy, but I used Expose to show all my windows and there it was - a calendar sync confirmation message box waiting for me to click OK. Apple needs to get a handle on how to use modal dialog boxes properly. Thanks for you help - it's been a while since I last synced.

ZDDP1273

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
This happened to me last time. I was just patient and waited it out for about 10 minutes and it still didn't progress. I just right clicked on the iPhone in the left column and clicked Sync again and it finally went all the way through everything. See if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.