freezes completely, fan is really loud

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbak, Aug 29, 2010.

1. lbak macrumors newbie

okay, i posted on the official apple forum yesterday, but no one has replied

i got my macbook pro in the mail on august 19th, so a little over a week ago. it's been working perfectly until it went out of power yesterday, and when i turned it back on the fan was really, really loud. i bought a cooling pad before i got the mac and always use it, so there's no dust in the fan. i just thought, okay it's probably just working on something... but then it froze. completely. i couldn't move the cursor, the keyboard wasn't working, it didn't go into sleep mode. i thought i'd just restart it but it happened again. and again, and again, and again.

it works for about five to ten minutes and then freezes, so i uninstalled the applications that weren't already on the mac. didn't work. and then i put in the mac osx dvd thinking that maybe reinstalling it would work, but it just froze again.

i ran the hardware test and apparently there's a problem with the sensor or whatever, and i also tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, but nothing's working - does anyone know anything else i can try?

2. Harryc macrumors member

If there's a sensor failure on the AHT, then Apple is your best bet on fixing it under warranty. Make an appointment and take it in to a Genious at an Apple store to have a look.

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

A failed sensor would explain your loud fan. The Mac goes into fail-safe mode which involves running the fans at full speed regardless of the CPU load or internal temperatures.

A failed sensor does not necessarily explain why your computer freezes, but it might point to other internal problems. As the other poster said, you need to contact Apple or your retailer. This is not a problem that's going to go away or be a simple fix.