Freezing 13" 2012 base MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z71paramedic, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Z71paramedic macrumors newbie

I searches and only came up with retina 15" problems...

My 2012 base model mbp with upgraded 16gigs of ram has started hanging up lately. It's intermittent (or was until it did it many times today) but while doing menial tasks will freeze for a few seconds. It was most noticeable when playing music in itunes, the music would stop, then resume a few seconds later. I get the beach ball when this happens and then it usually resumes.

I normally use google chrome and it hasn't given me problems until this week. I upgraded to ML a couple weeks ago because it was free. It was working fine until this started.

I've used disk utility to check the disk, and repair permissions. I've reset the, can't think of it, (hold ctrl, option, command) when it's off. Nothing works... And it's getting worse.

Now for the worst part, we just moved to Germany (my wife is an army Dr) and our house doesn't have regular internet. I've been using a surf stick which is painfully slow anyways. Not sure if I can download and reinstall ML...

Suggestions?

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I upgraded to 16gb of ram on the same model before I even booted it the first time and I've never had it freeze up or even experience a single kernel panic.

Perhaps you could try putting stock ram back in and see if you are having the same issue. If so, it could be a bad simm.

3. Fed macrumors 6502

I'll echo SpyderBite. Flip the RAM back to 8GB and see if it exhibits the same issues.

4. Z71paramedic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give that a go and see what it does. The ram hasn't read as being used even 20%when I'm not editing photos or something. The ram has been in there for over a month and been working fine until this week.

I'll put the atock ram in and see what it does. Thanks guys.