Freezing 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMuttonchops, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MacMuttonchops macrumors member

MacMuttonchops

Hello all,

This is a new one. My 13" MacBook Pro has gone into a kernel panic three times in the past three days. Now I'm getting this green snow on the screen and I hear a strange clicking noise and then the entire system freezes. The clicking is not coming from the hard drive, it's coming from the speakers. I can only get everything going again if I force the computer to shut down. Then, when I try to turn back on, the first ten or so tries, nothing happens. The fans whirr, but there's no ding and the display does not turn on. Eventually after a random number of restarts, it will turn back on as if nothing happened. Usually when that happens, I'll get the kernel panic report screen. I've tried resetting the PRAM, but beyond that, I'm clueless.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

I would do a clean install and if that fails you might have a faulty logic board

3. MacMuttonchops thread starter macrumors member

MacMuttonchops

Fresh install froze two minutes in. I switched out the hard drives and memory to what it shipped with and naturally that froze a couple minutes in as well. I'm on the shipping hard drive right now again (I got it started back up), so we'll see how long this lasts?

Why would I be getting a halfway failure? Shouldn't it just start up or not if the logic board is dead? Not quit after a few minutes and then start again?

EDIT: Actually, that's not entirely accurate. I swapped the hard drives, froze, swapped the memory, reboot, and now I'm here and so far so good. Could the memory be bad? If so, how do I check?

EDIT 2: Sorry for the multiple edits, but it was the RAM! I ran Apple Hardware Test on factory RAM and both the RAM and logic board came up clean. I swapped out each upgrade RAM stick, one of them was clean. I swap the other one in, and whadaya know? It's beeping at me when I try to start up.