Freezing and purple colors corruption

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sage2k, Mar 6, 2011.

1. sage2k macrumors newbie

sage2k

Hello there, long time lurker here.
    /Scroll down to the two questions if you’re in a hurry/

I had my 2009 13’ MacBook Pro completely freeze on me and display corrupted colors on these freezes. This happened twice – on November 17th and 22nd. I did a PRAM and SMC reset, and reinstalled 10.6 on December 1st. Then I had the same freezing issue happen twice in mid and late January.

Occasion #1:
    [​IMG]

Occasion #2:
    [​IMG]

Occasion #3:
    No pics, since I was on the phone when it happened and had to quickly restart it :p

Occasion #4:
    [​IMG]

I have the AppleCare protection plan and phoned there today on a separate topic of my battery’s capacity dropping to 73% after 279 cycles (Hello my 4th repair trip to Menlo Park Apple Retail Store).

On the topic of MBP freezing with graphics corruption, the AppleCare contact had me do a SMC reset and a safe boot (basically a driver cache update) justifying it probably being a software issue. Well, as I said I had the SMC reset and OS reinstalled in December, so…

My questions / tl;dr
    1. Do you thint it's a hardware (logic board?) issue by looking at the photos?
    2. Do you think I should push on this likely being a hardware issue to the Retail Store Genius since I have to get battery changed anyway?

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Try a full reinstall of the OS. If the problem doesn't come back. Problem solved. If it does, you could have a dying GPU (but not for sure either). Also, the next time this does happen, try plugging the computer into an external monitor and see if it looks the same there.

3. sage2k thread starter macrumors newbie

sage2k

I did a reinstall in December and had the colored freezing happen in January again. I believe I did a clean install since the partition was created on December 1st:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the idea of plugging in an external monitor upon freeze. I’ll try that if/when it happens next time.