Freezing iMac on Login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BigJakeA, Jul 8, 2008.

1. BigJakeA macrumors newbie

Ok, so I left for a week, and my friend was house sitting. I set him up with his own account on my iMac (the first intel one). He had safari crash on him and then everything would not work or was moving really slow. When I tried to switch to my login it would freeze. So I finally got it to where I go to to the login screen instead of logging into his account and it freezes when I try to login (doesn't matter which account I try and login on.)

I have everything backed up on my external hard drive under time machine and I have an install disc for Leaopard. So I am not too worried just want to get things running again. Thanks for any help.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You never asked what you needed help doing? You said you have everything backed up and you have your install disk. What help did you need?

3. BigJakeA thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i reinstall? I can get to the login screen but I don't know how to start reinstalling or loading the backup.

4. quotemeas macrumors regular

Put your install disk in the DVD drive. Restart the computer and hold down the C key until the gear icon shows up on the grey Apple Logo background. You should hear your DVD drive working. Allow it to load up off the DVD then select your language. At this point, follow the step by step installer. At one point you can click an Options button in the bottom half of the Installer window and select Erase and Install. This is your best option. You can also customize what is included in the installation by selecting a Customize button contained in the last Installer window. Then let it install.

MAKE SURE ALL DATA IS BACKED UP OFF THE HARD DRIVE (i.e to external disks or DVDs).

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Place the Leopard disk in your Mac and either choose the option that says "Install Mac OS X" or just restart your computer and press and hold down on the "C" key after the chime sounds. The install screen will appear. Choose "Utilities" in the menu bar and choose the option to install from a backup of OS X. This option is only useful if you've backed up your entire Mac vs. only select apps. Follow the prompts and it may take several hours so allow the backup to install over night.