Freezing issue with new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kernco, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kernco macrumors newbie

I got the new $2199 model 15" MacBook Pro, and I'm having trouble with it freezing. I think it's related to overheating or the automatic graphics switching, because it's always accompanied by the fans revving up very loud. It's happened a couple times while watching a Netflix movie, always within a minute of starting to watch it. It's also happened four or five times while playing Second Life, which is notoriously graphics intensive. I haven't been able to reproduce it with other 3D games like WoW or Civ 5, and I can't reliably reproduce it with either Netflix or Second Life.

I installed smcFanControl, and I've noticed that whenever it freezes, the temp is getting up to 92 or 93 celsius. I've seen it get up there without freezing too, though. But I've never seen it freeze without getting that high.

So I want to ask if anyone else has had this happen? Is this defective hardware and I should return my MBP and get a new one, or is this a software issue?

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Reinstall OS X, maybe, then return if it doesn't fix it.

If it was me I would just return it. Explain the fan behaviour and freezing, they are great and will return it I'm sure.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thats what I would do. I wouldn't stress over it. Just return it if the reinstall doesn't fix the problem.

4. kernco thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I reinstalled Mac OS X and I think that may have done it. I'll have to use it for a few days before I can be confident, but it seems to be running cooler and at the same time the fans aren't spinning up as much. Thanks for the replies.