Freezing laptop (Temperature)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iced-apple, Jan 29, 2008.

1. iced-apple macrumors newbie

I found this problem difficult to search as I kept getting freezing as in stalling not as in temperature. How dangerous is it for laptops, I personally have a macbook pro, to be exposed to cold temperature? I generally take my laptop with me everywhere after class but don't want to carry it with me when I have lunch, or meet with friends etc. In this case I will generally leave my laptop in my car in my backpack.

K, backstory done. It is currently -32C here, actually -48C with windchill. As you can imagine it does not take long for a car to cool down and things to freeze. My question is how bad is this for the laptop? I am not leaving it in the car overnight or anything blatently daft like that, but it doesn't take long at these temperatures for things to freeze. I don't just slap the laptop on a desk and fire it up when it feels super cold, just let it slowly aclimatise to room temperature before use. Is this all i should do? Am i still risking my lappy? I really don't want to have to have it attached to me at all times and don't trust leaving it in a coin locker or anything similar.

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

As long as you don't use it outdoor and keep your laptop in a bag or something, it'll be fine. To prevent condensation, you may want to leave your laptop off for a while after bringing it indoor from the outside.

3. Glueeater macrumors regular

I was going to say that I would worry mostly about the condensation.

4. jpow112 macrumors member

I'm sure there is a technical solution to this, but would it be worth keeping in in a hermetically sealed bag when very cold, with all the air expelled, then keep it in the bag when in is warming, to minimise the condensation, then only expose it to humid air when at room temperature?

I'm sure out-door engineers must have to work round this problem

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

They use Panasonic Toughbook

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4183/

[​IMG]