Freezing macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redking31591, May 1, 2009.

1. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,
    My unibody macbook that is about 3 months old is acting really weird. When i open 3 or more windows of safari and itunes it starts to lock up and act slugishly. When i open activity monitor it says is still has about 800mb of memory open. It is the base model with all stock components. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Lock up? Is the rainbow pinwheel spinning, or is it literally just locking up and freezing to the point you must restart? Worse case scenario, it's under warranty, as long as you haven't damaged it out of negligence, and it will be covered.

You can try repairing the disk permissions in disk utility, that would be my first piece of advice.

Are you using Safari 4.0 beta? It's only a beta, so you shouldn't use that as a benchmark for performance and responsiveness.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It wouldn't hurt to create a new user and see if that problem exists there as well. If it doesn't, we can start playing around with your preferences.

4. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Try cleaning all the caches with OnyX. That happened to me a while ago, especially while working with Safari. I cleaned all the caches and now it's running back to normal.