Freezing MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArmyKnight12, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Has anyone been experiencing freezing MBP screens after stopping the screen saver? I will try to click mail or itunes on the dock and nothing happens- the computer screen and all the applications are frozen. Has this happened to anyone? Do you know how to fix it? Each time it happens (roughly everyday) I am forced to restart the computer. Thanks and hope you can help. :apple:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What apps do you have running at the time? What screensaver are you using? What third party hardware do you have plugged in or installed? :)

3. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Thanks for responding. When this happens, I usually have Mail, iTunes, Safari, and Pages running. My screen saver is the basic "Computer Name" one where my user name and an Apple floats around. The computer is relatively new so I haven't installed any 3rd party hardware (brand new and not a used one) It's a weird problem and no one seems to know how to fix it. :apple:

When it freezes, I'm forced to restart the machine every time which is getting annoying. I would like to think it would be fine to leave it on for a few hours without it freezing as I don't want to put it to sleep every time I leave the computer.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, thanks for getting back to us. Try running the Apple Hardware Test that came on your machine's install discs. You access it by booting with the disc in your optical drive and holding D.

5. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

Is it frozen or is the keyboard not working?
    A few times my keyboard would stop working, either logging in from the SS or using apps, and I thought the computer was the issue, until discovering I was still able to use the mouse.

6. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I've experienced this form of freezing as well on my base 15" Pre-SR MBP. Symptoms are:
    - Computer is non-responsive except the mouse cursor
    - The mouse cursor moves but can't do anything else (click, start apps, etc).
    - The computer has not kernel panicked.
    - I can't reproduce it
    - It isn't RAM (I've tried 4 different sticks of 1gb DDR2)

Its not in the country right now but when it comes back on Saturday, I'll be bringing it back to the Apple store to get it checked out. I'll keep you posted on the results.

If you're within the 14 days, I HIGHLY recommend you replace it NOW.

There's also this thread where are lot of us that are experiencing freezing have posted our experiences.

Good luck, its annoying and for me, it didn't start happening until 4 - 6 months after I got the laptop.

7. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Thanks for responding all. I'm going to try some of the suggestions and thanks for the informative thread link. I knew I wasn't the only one experiencing the screen freezing problem! Happy Festivus. :apple:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Be sure to get back to us with your findings so either we can help more or you can help future readers. :)

9. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Ok. I tried the Apple hardware Test and it scanned the computer for an hour and found nothing which is a good sign. I know they just released a freezing keyboard issue for Leopard users which doesn't affect me and my Tiger OS. Still looking into other suggestions. :apple: