Freezing on boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zombie4000, Apr 12, 2007.

1. zombie4000 macrumors newbie

A mac that im working on goes to the grey screen then goes to the login screen. Before the usernames come up there is a blue bar that goes and it usually says "starting os x". On this machine the bar comes up but the system doesnt do anything. No blue ever comes up. Just sits there. I have done a filecheck , checked permissions, tried safe mode and none helped. The hardware has passed. I have also reset nvram. Anyother ideas besides a restore??

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try booting from your Mac OS X install disc and, instead of installing Mac OS X, choose Open Disk Utility from the menu. Verify your disk. If errors are found, repair them (by choosing repair disk).

3. zombie4000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done that already. Did it about 3 times & it still did nothing

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did Disk Utility say your disk was OK? If it didn't, you have filesystem damage that is preventing Mac OS X from booting. If this is the case, you have few options:

• Reformat and reinstall (hope you have a recent backup!)
    • Use a disk recovery program, like Alsoft's DiskWarrior, to fix your disk

If your disk is fine, something else is wrong, but I'm not quite sure what. I'd suggest bringing your Mac in to your local Apple retail store (if you have one), and ask them to take a look at it, and looking to others here for advice, as I'm not sure what else to suggest.

5. zombie4000 thread starter macrumors newbie