Freezing Powerbook 1.67Ghz 17"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tpth, Dec 4, 2007.

1. tpth macrumors member

I posted in here a while back about my girlfriend's 17" 1.67Ghz Powerbook, which has an unfortunate propensity to freeze randomly. Someone suggested it might be the issue that seems to plague this model, which can be resolved by disabling processor nap. Unfortunately, this hasn't worked - it continues to freeze sporadically.

It's not a kernel panic - it's a hard freeze, where no input from keyboard or trackpad is recognized, and the only thing to do is shut down by holding down the power key. The only thing I've noticed is that the Powerbook freezes only when not plugged in (ie. when it's running off battery). It generally happens when the battery starts to run down - usually at 60% or less.

This at least means that the issue can be avoided by keeping the charger plugged in, but given that the whole idea of a laptop is that it's portable, this is less than ideal. Does anyone have any other ideas as to how to fix this?

Any ideas much appreciated.

2. tpth thread starter macrumors member

3. ale500 macrumors regular

Can you narrow it to for instance some program you are using, or when using some external device, etc. ? Did you check the hard disk for errors lately ?

4. tpth thread starter macrumors member

No, unfortunately not. No peripherals installed (no external HD, no mouse, nothing), and it happens at what are as far as I can determine are random times. Frustrating... :confused:

Edit - and yeah, I've checked the drive for errors. Nothing wrong as far as I can tell.

5. ale500 macrumors regular

In that case, and after checking the hard drive with disk utility. I'd suggest one of two ways:
    - Get an external hard disk and install the OS there, and work from there to see if it still happens.
    - Reinstall the OS.

(Resetting PRAM and all that, was already tested at this time, I suppose :) )

If either do not fix it, well I hope you have Apple Care :)

6. tpth thread starter macrumors member

No Applecare... But now you mention it, I haven't tried resetting the PRAM. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference. Fingers crossed.