Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurie4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Over the past two days, my ibook G4 has developed a problem with Safari. Whenever I try to open it, it freezes and I have to do a force quit to shut it down. I have switched to firefox which is doing fine but the problem is that I have bookmarks on Safari...that and the fact that I can't stand when things don't work.
I have reloaded software, I have maintained downloads. I really don't know what to do about it.
Any help would be great

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Try this:

Import your settings from Safari into Firefox, then quit Firefox.
Go to your home folder, then the Library folder inside it.
Move the Safari folder inside there to your Desktop. Delete the Safari folder inside the Caches folder inside the Library folder (this only contains cache files, and is perfectly safe to delete).
Try launching Safari again. If it doesn't freeze, import your stuff from Firefox.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
you can get firefox to import safari bookmarks by temporarily renaming firefox's profile folder, after which, you can move the bookmark files back to the old firefox profile folder.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
you can get firefox to import safari bookmarks by temporarily renaming firefox's profile folder, after which, you can move the bookmark files back to the old firefox profile folder.
You don't actually need to do this - you can use File->Import to accomplish much the same thing, without needing to rename Firefox profiles.

That said, your Firefox profile folder is here: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/(random letters and numbers).default/ - this can be useful to know, should you ever need to manipulate something in here.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
You don't actually need to do this - you can use File->Import to accomplish much the same thing, without needing to rename Firefox profiles.
indeed, sigh I have been holding a wrong impression for ages, :D good to know..

laurie4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
going to giv'er

Thanks...going to get myself all psyched up for techno moves never tried before...:eek:

laurie4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Don't know where to find home

I imported my stuff from safari but I don't know how to find home....used finder but what it showed me had nothing in it but a song. Would it be in Network?

laurie4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
safari still freezing

Thanks for the help with the import but I did find home and followed suggestion but safari still isn't going...its weirdd

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Thanks for the help with the import but I did find home and followed suggestion but safari still isn't going...its weirdd
That eliminates corrupted data as the cause. Did you install any third-party plugins for Safari? These may be corrupted or incompatible with the version of Safari you're using. Try removing them - since you can't go into Safari you'll have to hunt down their folders and move them temporarily to your desktop - usually they'll be in the global Library (inside Macintosh HD) or your user library, in some subfolder.

If that doesn't help, the next step to try is reinstalling Safari. First, figure out which version of Mac OS X and which version of Safari you have (this can be done from the About This Mac dialog and the Get Info window for Safari, respectively). Once you've determined this, go visit Apple's download site, and find the update containing the version of Safari you need. Install this - you'll almost certainly need to reboot afterward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.