Freezing Temperatures and the Macbook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by classic400, Feb 11, 2012.

1. classic400 macrumors newbie

Does exposure to freezing temperatures have any negative impact on the Macbook Pro? Should I let it get to room temperature before turning it on?

2. outz macrumors 6502

i'd be worried about exposing the battery to extreme temps (low and high)

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Should let it warm up or condensation could occur inside the case

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This is a good question.

I would guess that as long as the ambient temperature during use falls in the allowed range (10 C - 35 C), it should be fine, even if the laptop is still cold from being outside.

I'm not sure about the condensation issue - I don't think one can prevent it by not turning it on... when I step into a bakery or any other humid place, humidity condenses on my glasses even without me "turning them on."

5. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

I've occasionally used my MBP, and the Powerbook that preceded it, directly from freezing temperatures, and in freezing ambient temperatures, and haven't had any problems that I can directly attribute to that.

6. Xplode35 macrumors newbie

Actually you should be careful. My Dell had a problem with condensation. I left it in my car over night and I went to get it in the morning. There was some condensation on the screen but I didn't think much of it so I wiped it off with a paper towel and turned it on. Yep, IDIOT. It was fine for a few minutes but then I saw one corner of the screen started going dark and getting super hot. A couple seconds later the entire screen went out and I ended up changing out the screen. Moral of the story, THINK before you do something stupid like I did. If there's any hint of condensation or if you just want to be on the safe side, let your laptop sit in room temperature for a while before turning it on.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

depends on if there's a lot of humidity and chilling (condensation).

In most colder climes this isn't an issue as water doesn't hang around.

But I would imagine it's safe down to about 0 degrees F. After that I would know.

Also, it's good to let it acclimate a little inside as, although moisture may not be an issue, temperature changes can wreak havoc in a number of ways.

But these aluminum bodies can adjust very quickly. Just laying your hand on them and holding it there will speed it up.

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

In this case it’s not so much about preventing condensation (although that certainly would be advisable). It’s more about letting any condensation that might have accumulated inside the MBP to dissipate through natural evaporation before turning the machine on.

9. classic400 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does any permanent damage occur even if it is left off, but in freezing temperatures in a car for several days?

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

The battery will not like it, but the computer itself will be fine.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If there is high moisture in the air then yes it can be bad for any device.

12. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

All you need on apples site.

Personally to give it an easier life I would try to keep it in the "operating" ranges at all times.