Freezing when saving with new tags

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Nordicexpat, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Nordicexpat macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been following the site for a while but this is my first post. I'm having a rather strange behaviour with Mavericks. I have a lot of Mavericks tags (say, 30, but I haven't counted). I'm not sure when the problem started, but now when I try to save and add a new tag to a file, the program either freezes up and requires me to Force-Quit (Preview, Circus Pony Notebooks, Byword), or immediately crashes (Office 2011). I'm able to save the file if I don't add a new tag (that is, I can add an old tag, and I can save without adding any tag). I can also add a new tag to that file after it has been saved. The only program that seems to work OK is OmniOutliner (I can save a file with a new tag without a problem). I tried saving to a new location, rebooting, checking permissions, uninstalling some newly installed software (e.g., Default Folder X), and nothing seems to work. This occurs on two different machines: 2011 Macbook Pro and 2013 Macbook Air. I've googled around a bit and haven't seen anyone with a similar problem. So I guess I'm hoping someone here might have some advice.

(Not sure if this is a red herring, but I'm also having a problem having Hazel adding a tag to a file if that file contains another tag (that is, assigning the tag "untagged" to a file that has the tag "new.")

Thanks for any light that can be shed on this issue.

2. xylitol macrumors regular

Have you used Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) to check if there is an errant process or something during those freezes?