Freezing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Catastrophe., Jul 30, 2011.

1. Catastrophe. macrumors member

Catastrophe.

Basically, I put my iMac into sleep mode every night, I go to sleep and turn it back on in the morning. If I try to watch a youtube video (or any streaming video) it will freeze after being on sleep mode :| I can move the cursor but do nothing else. I have to turn it off then turn it back on just to unfreeze it and watch the damn video.

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

If your imac is running Lion, its a Adobe Flash problem. The current version of Flash for the Lion is in Beta, so you have to wait a bit for Adobe to release a more stable version for the new operating system.

3. Catastrophe., Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

Catastrophe. thread starter macrumors member

Catastrophe.

Ohhh. I am running Lion. I didn't think of that :/ lame. Thanks.

Edit: Yeah, it must be flash. It's the same with the chat room on another forum I'm a chat mod on >.>

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

It's not only Flash. It's an issue with Lion and video in general, and seems to be afflicting specifically 2011 iMacs. This freeze typically happens after waking the computer from full sleep mode (meaning the hard drive was in sleep) and playing videos. It can be Flash, QuickTime, or iTunes videos. Some users have even reported freezing with video-related programs (iMovie, Final Cut, etc).

This thread here talks more about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1200959&highlight=

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Yes. It's Lion, not Flash. (Finally, Adobe isn't the problem)

6. bennettave macrumors member

this problem SUCKS! i am having to hold my power button to reset my machine several times per day.

7. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Same here. Happened 3-4 straight times earlier tonight. Super, super annoying. I was to the point that i unplugged my Mac and put it back in the box to avoid punching it through the wall. lol.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

9. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

My is 2011, this happened to me as well for the 1st time. I normally let the imac running with the screen off because I get annoying WIFI connection drop when the machine goes to sleep.

Both of those problems only happened after updated to Lion. :mad:

10. rudylovesfood macrumors newbie

11. ycwee37 macrumors member

my 2011 iMac freezed 3 times yesterday after waking up from sleep...:mad:

12. Catastrophe. thread starter macrumors member

Catastrophe.

At least I'm not the only one :/

I suppose I may have to start switching it off when I go to bed >.>

Do you guys reckon this will be fixed after an update?

13. bennettave macrumors member

my iMac is a mid 2011 27" with SSD + 1Gb HDD. I think this is the most consistent, reproducible bug that I've ever encountered with any OS. I'm considering reloading SL. this just SUCKS.

14. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I had to wipe the HD and reinstall Lion because of some annoying Wifi issue (which seems to be gone now). I couldn't even reinstall Lion, I had to install SL first because the Lion installation would not download the components. Booted into SL, it was like a breath of fresh air. No real lag, games run fine now, I don't have to worry about watching a Flash video after the computer's woken up etc. I appreciate new operating systems are typically buggy but I can't help but feel if the iPad had an issue as severe and reproducible, it'd be fixed quickly. Ah well.

15. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

I have this problem as well on my 2011 27" iMac that I paid a little over $3k for. WTF???

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This truly is the one thorn ruining my iMac experience. A premium product that's supposed to "just work" should not require rebooting every time I attempt to play a video (be it Flash or QuickTime or anything else). This issue is absurd.

17. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yeah this ridiculous. even Apple wont consider this a problem. mine stem from so many random instances its not always 100% reproduced at any given time. but when it does happen it sounds pretty bad especially the audio popping and the random noises it makes.

Apple is issuing a replacement but i'm compelled it wont be much different and I really dont have a reason to be on Lion right now so I'm sort of torn between the new OS or just dealing with the randomized issues.

When I was paging through the Service guide for the 2011 iMacs it states the EMI Shielding tape near the isight camera is necessary to prevent loss to wifi connection, im wondering if that has a relation to the crop of Wi-Fi drop outs and issues experienced -- they werent properly applied during manufacturing?