French accents on english keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lechinois66, Jul 8, 2010.

1. lechinois66 macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me how to get the accents from the english keyboard? It seems really hard to get most of them...

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They're typed with the Option key (which I think is called Alt on a British keyboard).

Option-e for acute, followed by the letter, eg. Option-e then a for á.
    Option-i for circumflex
    Option-` for grave
    Option-c for cedilla

Are there any others? I haven't done French since my first year of high school :p

3. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

If you are using a Windows keyboard, I use this site for the alt codes (hold down alt, type the code, release alt.)

4. jgaudet macrumors newbie

French accents on a bilingual keyboard

This is my first IMac and I ordered a bilingual keyboard so I could have the French accents. Why am I not getting them? Worse, the keys on the keyboard don<t match (as you can see I can<t even find the apostrophe?) HELP, please!

5. Vihzel macrumors 6502

When I want to type in French (I'm a French speaker), I just use the French AZERTY keyboard and just switch back and forth. It makes it so much easier while typing out a paper. It takes a while to get used to AZERTY but once you get it, it becomes second nature typing in full English and French on it. After a long paper, I always make mistakes writing in English on the English keyboard. hehe