French iPhone in UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by totolad, Nov 11, 2007.

1. totolad macrumors member

Well I was reading something yesterday from What Mobile, that would seem to suggest that the french iPhone which is due out later this month, will in fact be able to have any sim card in it, ie you could buy one in France and then bring it back to the UK, and not have to change to a stupid high price/ low minute contract with O2.

Does anyone else have any information like will the menu's be in french or will you be able to change them? Any help would be good!!!

2. ianrandy macrumors newbie

I'm also interested to know about this, although i have no doubt the price of an unlocked phone will be prohibitively expensive. I can see them adding the value of the contract they (apple) would get from orange-fr onto the price of the handset to 'balance the books' however, only time will tell.

3. tomacintosh macrumors regular

I think I know how they'll get around it, the phone will come unlocked but will still require activation through iTunes, and I'm guessing you will only be able to activate on the Orange network, but then once you have the phone will technically be unlocked, but your still stuck with an Orange contract to try and get out of.

4. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

When I brought my UK iPhone on launch they had a notice up saying that they would only provide support for the iPhone in the country in which it was purchased. Something to keep in mind.

5. Supersonic macrumors regular

If they're going along that route, someone ought to point to EU open borders legislation - that kinda rule left with the dinosaurs!