Frequency cutoff/defective jack?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by RudiP, Dec 10, 2007.

1. RudiP macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a 30G iPod which is now two years old.
    Last year the headphone jack was bent to one side, so that you had to bend it one way to hear music out of both speakers and not just one side. I went to an Apple store, but because the iPod it was out of warranty I had to pay 120 euros to get it fixed. It seemed to work fine at first, yet the more I listened to it, I realized that some songs sounded funny.
    Only when playing specific songs it became apparent that part of the music was being cut off. For example, there were no lyrics or some instruments to be heard, and if you could hear them, only very quietly in the background. It seems like this new jack was installed improperly and is cutting off some of the frequency. However I don't want to bring it back and pay another 120 euros. So I have two questions:
    What exactly is broken/ what is the problem here?
    Is there a way I can fix this myself?

I would be very thankful for any suggestions/comments.
    Thanks.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It's very likely a problem with the Jack itself - take it back to the store and have them fix it correctly.

I can't say for 100% - as I never got REALLY into it - but it's either a "floating ground" or the connector is not mating up to one of the contacts where it should. I had the exact issue with my Treo 650 - connector got bent, and lifted one of the solder pads off the PCB. The playback lacked bass, and some songs sounded like "karaoke" tracks - no vocals - it was fun at first, but I fixed it quickly, as I missed hearing my music the way I remembered it.

From my feeble electronic brain - it SOUNDS like there is no common ground - and you're hearing the DIFFERENTIAL between the two channels. (the difference between the left ear and the right ear) As opposed to the differential from each channel to ground. Some songs with heavy stereo sound / effects would be much more apparent.

Pick a song that has a particular instrument playing on "one ear" - one that stands out, (that you can remember) and play it now - if that "distinct" instrument is now blended or muffled - you likely have an open ground, or bad connection.

One song I could remember off hand was Fire Starter by Prodigy. The guitar riff they had playing sounded totally FUBAR with my messed up connector.

Edit: I forgot... If you want to be absolutely sure - (don't want to be charged more @ the store) - try another set of headphones, just in case... (I don't think that will be it, though)