Frequency of reboot: From Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by archdelux, Oct 24, 2010.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

There are a lot of varying opinions being thrown around regarding how often to reboot a MBP, so I am wondering if anyone has a legit source from Apple/etc that gives us a legit, science-based reason for rebooting however often?

Some people say reboot only when necessary while others say varying other things. Is there a place that has an actual answer?

Thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

AFAIK, Apple really doesn't say anything on the matter. I shut down at night and boot in the morning, basically out of habit. I have been using computers since I was probably 5 or 6 (Windows 95 and System 7 FTW), and that was long before the days of any sort of "sleep" function, so everyone just shut down. The computers are made so it really doesn't matter what you do, it's just personal preference.

3. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I don't think theres anything official out there. Whether you shut it down every day or just once a month, it won't really matter.

4. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. So, just to be clear - there is no data indicating the not shutting down the computer (2010 13" MBP) for extended periods of time (weeks) will slow down the computer or otherwise negatively affect the computer or user experience? (or at least, that the negative effects are negligible)

Thanks

5. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Not that I know of. My MBP has been running for 33 days so far and it's going just as fast as before.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If you shut it down for weeks the only advice is to do so with battery between 40-50% capacity.

7. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Well, certain 'Power On Self Tests' (POST) that test your hardware are only run at startup. So maybe it is a good idea to do a reboot once in a while.