frequent charging okay?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sunandsurf, Jul 24, 2008.

1. sunandsurf macrumors regular

just wondering if it matters if i connect my Touch to my computer for charging for long periods of time and like everyday?

i have no idea what the ideal way to treat the Touch's battery might be.

thanks for any info.

2. J*man macrumors member

3. pisces03x macrumors regular

I don't think it matters, because as long as the battery is full or near-full at the start when you plug it in you only use up a portion of a charge cycle.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

With all rechargeable batteries, keeping the electrons moving is best.

Best practice is to use your iPod, iPhone, MacBook on batteries and not keep it plugged in at all times. Every month or so your should drain the batteries completely and let it charge overnight. This will keep the battery healthy and help it to maintain it's charge when on batteries.

5. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

agreed, it's not best to always have it on charge. let it run out every now and then. with my laptop, i used to charge it every single day and never let the battery die and now the battery only last for 15 minutes, no joke.

6. wetnap macrumors member

google battery university

lithium ion batteries wear less with partial charges than deep discharges. so top up is good. deep discharge constantly is bad. leaving in car baking is bad..heat.
    as for leaving it always plugged in, because of how touchy such batteries are with charging the controller is always intelligent enough to stop charging when its full/trickle charge. you know..to stop the kaboom. so its pretty safe to do. just do whatevers convenient.

7. wetnap macrumors member

the issue with laptops is heat. even if not charging the battery is exposed to extra heat with a running laptop. heat kills. and that being said, lithium ion only has a life span of a few years regardless of use, and thats starting from the day it was born at the factory, not the first day you started to use it. they have shelf lives! thats why you should never stock up or buy an old battery. and the discharge of laptops is faster, and more wearing on such batteries.