Frequent crashes on rmbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

I've had a few macbook pros (2010, 2011, and now the rmbp), and for the last week, I've had more crashes on the rMBP that I've ever had on the classic mbp's.

The crash just shuts the computer off, restarts it, and then I'm back up and running again. All in all, it's about 20 seconds, but it's very annoying. 4 times in the last 2 days, with no devices plugged into the rmpb at all (only the magsafe 2)

I'm not a power user, so I don't overclock or touch anything on the mac. I just do my work, and have D3 installed.

It happens most often when I'm browsing, either in Firefox or Chrome.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

No.
    Doesn't happened on my 2010 MBP and my rMBP. This is the first I've heard about it. :confused:

3. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Chrome is the issue. It's just not optimized for the machine yet. I installed Chrome (dev version) and it crashed. Deleted it and have been solid ever since.

You just gotta wait and use Safari in the meantime.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

A large number of people have reported such crashes when using Chrome on one of the new 2012 notebooks with the Intel HD 4000 graphics chips.

It's something to do with Apple's HD4000 driver, Chrome, or both.

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Chrome. Stop using that and see if the crashes stop.

I'm using Firefox here (been using that on my desktop for years) and no crashes.

6. blow45 macrumors 68000

Take it back to them and ask for a new one, or file a bug report and tell them to fix their poor drivers for the intel hd so we can all benefit. Unlike what the others are saying I don't subscribe to the idea that an application, any application can crash the whole os. Its something related to the device itself, and further within the core than just the app. Of someone can explain technically to me how a browser app can cause kernel panics I ll concede.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

If its chrome another rMBP ain't gonna fix it.

You didn't say where the resolution is set.

Genius could look at the console logs but you really need an Apple app panic to get traction for a replacement.

8. blow45 macrumors 68000

Yeah but no one has postulated a conveincing argument that chrome, or any app for that matter can cause a kernel panic.

I addition why would he need an apple app to kernel panic the mechines for a replacement. Apple can t say sorry non apple apps can cause kernel panics at will is is just acceptable behaviour nothing we can do about it??!!!! No app solid cause os x to crash in 2012 even the most malicious type of code, that's what system robustness is about.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

OP do a search next time. This is a know issue and there are a number of threads that discuss it.

Moderators...how about a sticky on the whole chrome issue.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It isn't Chrome that's crashing, it's Apple's HD 4000 graphics driver. Seems like almost everyone is reporting that it happens when using Chrome though. Probably something strange that Chrome does that triggers a bug in the driver.

As far as I know Apple hasn't said "sorry nothing we can do about it". Most likely it's just a matter of time before there's a graphics update.

11. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

According to Google they are indeed causing the OS to crash. They have filed a big report as you are indeed correct, an app should not be able to crash the box.

Here is a postulation of a convincing argument for Chrome being the issue:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1395843

12. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, it's very likely Chrome. I only had that running earlier and it crashed again.

After each crash, I submit the automated bug report to Apple as well.

13. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Computers run Apps and Apps bring out or can highlight deficiencies in the OS.

If Apple apps causes Apple problems they get resolved quicker then a non Apple third party App.

When it isn't hardware thats misbehaving its most likely an issue in a device driver when the kernel throws an exception.

Either way I still say demanding and waiting weeks for a replacement won't resolve the OP's problem.

There is a lot of stuff happening in the retina virtual display driver that may not get sorted out until ML is in final release.

Wouldn't be surprised if Chrome got dusted off to make use of the increase in resolution while we are waiting.

14. blow45 macrumors 68000

Thanks for the heads up! :)

It's shocking that this should be happening in 2012, and it's all apple's fault, chrome has just showcased inadvertently the vulnerability. It's still very hard to understand how apple's internal os x architecture would allow a graphics crash to bring down the whole os.