Frequent dropped calls. Anyone else lately?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by southcounty949, Jan 30, 2009.

1. southcounty949 macrumors member

southcounty949

I've had my iPhone 3G since July '08. I've never had dropped calls as often as I do now. I live in Orange County, CA and it seems that no matter where I go, even with FULL bars over the 3G network, my calls are constantly dropping. I was talking to someone today and it dropped 4 times, all with full bars. I know it's common to every now and then get dropped calls, but this is getting ridiculous, and everyone I speak with has made a comment about it. This has happening frequently, however, each time I think about going to the Apple store to maybe get it replaced, I don't think it will replicate the problem. Does anyone know any fixes for this? Has anyone else been having the same problems lately?

2. Resist macrumors 68030

It's possible that the drop could be from the other people's phone and not your service.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Dial *3001#12345#* and press Call on your Phone.

Look at the upper left, if it's close to 70s then you're good. If larger than that, you might want to talk with AT&T first then Apple.

4. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

No, today I was talking to someone that was on a landline.

5. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

It says -79. What does this mean anyway?

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Hmm, strong signal. Read this so you can get an idea.

7. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

I don't get why I'm dropping calls though when I have full bars.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I don't have the answer to that, that's why I recommend stopping by AT&T and Apple, they can help you out more than we do.
    I was just checking if you have a good signal strength for your iPhone.

9. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

I guess I will. I was just trying to see if this was a common thing for people.

10. charliex5 macrumors regular

My wife and I both have iPhones and we CONSTANTLY have dropped and failed calls with full bars. When I was with Verizon I never experienced a dropped call once. I have been so disappointed with AT&T's service.

11. southcounty949 thread starter macrumors member

southcounty949

I feel the same way. I too once had Verizon. Best coverage/reception, and I rarely got dropped calls. Verizon had horrible customer service though when I had them. But what phone company doesn't? I'm disappointed because prior to my iPhone, I never had problems with AT&T's service. I had the same thing happen to my iPhone (non 3G). I hope I can get this replaced or fixed!

12. Resist macrumors 68030

I sure hope I don't get many dropped calls. AT&T is the reason why I didn't buy an iPhone sooner, Verizon has always had better service. Can't wait until the day when we can use Verizon with the iPhone. If my service with AT&T gets really bad I will drop my iPhone right away. I love my iPhone but if I can't use it as a phone due to dropped calls, then I might as well have an iPod Touch instead.

13. Resist macrumors 68030

I just dialed this on my iPhone and while inside my house the reading is 101 and drops to -93. This was with all the bars showing prior to calling.

I am so screwed.

14. thomasjon macrumors member

This helped me..

I went to Apple and they ran their diagnostic test. I was dropping 20% of my calls. ALWAYS SEEM TO BE A CLIENT. Anyway, they recommended a restore. I had a 4 hour train ride so I actually restored the phone without my computer using the RESET ALL SETTINGS button under general settings. I had to eventually hook it up to my computer and add all the apps, music, etc back and to activate it. Since then I have not dropped 1 call. I leave 3G on all the time and am in the Philadelphia area. I recommend this method, if not does not work for you, then go to ATT or APPLE and have them exchange it. I also had ATT swap my sim for a new one because I read somewhere that it was helpful. It did not seem helpful to me, but the reset all settings was... Hope that helps.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

Glad that fixed things for you. I will try it if we start having issues like yours. Thanks!

16. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Nope, i have T-Mobile :D

18. Mad Max24 macrumors member

Yes! Almost every time this garbage chip has to switch from 3G to Edge it drops the call! On my 3rd iphone. I guess all the software updates Apple claims will fix this problem are BS! Apple doesn't want to recall the phones!

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Calls being dropped is nothing new

Love my iPhone but the service is almost comical

20. kurt92 macrumors newbie

My iPhone has been embarrassly drooping calls excessively over the past week, i've had at&t since Sep. 06 dont and have NEVER had many dropped calls at all since the past week. About 70% of my calls will drop with full service and I even tried getting a new SIM card but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. This is a big issue for me. This only seems to be affecting iphones as my family (3 other lines) who dont have iphones have any problem whatsoever. This makes me want to get the Blackberry Bold more and more. AT&T needs to get their act together with the iPhones or im done!!

21. Vercingetorix macrumors regular

Dropped calls have been a huge problem for both me and a friend for a few weeks now. We've about decided that it started about the time of the 2.2.1 update, but I haven't been able to find anything about it online anywhere.

I may try the restore mentioned in this thread. I've never had a problem with AT&T's service in Atlanta, but all of a sudden this has become a real problem.

22. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

The dropped calls now are nowhere near as bed as when the 3G first launched.
    It was complete craziness back then. Now dropped calls are just part of the "AT&T experience". Let me welcome you to the new AT&T. :eek:

23. richard371 macrumors 68000

Its the crappy Infineon chipset.

The Blackberry Bold uses the same chip for 3G and it drops calls left and right too. It will never be fixed unless Apple uses a Qualcomm chip in the next build.