Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are You A Frequent Flyer? Which Airline Do You Mose Use?

• American Airlines - AAdvantage

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • British Airways - Executive Club

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Canadian Airlines - Canadian Plus

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Continental Airlines - One Pass

• Delta Airlines - Skymiles

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • KLM Airlines - Flying Dutchman

• Lufthansa Airlines - Miles & More

• Northwest Airlines - World Perks

• Qantas - Frequent Flyer

• Southwest Airlines - Rapid Rewards

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • United Airlines - Mileage Plus

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • US Airways - Dividend Miles

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Global Pass - (formerly Latiin Pass)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One World Alliance Member

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Qualiflyer Group (10 European Carriers)

• Other

• Total voters

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
xsedrinam said:
Choose the Frequent Flyer Program and Airline you most use.

Unfortunately, Southwest Rapid Rewards.

They have the most consistent fares in the industry right now. :eek:

I hate that airline™ though.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
I think my parents have delta rewards thing with american express, but I dont think we use it because from what I know, my parents HATE delta. haha and I dont blame them.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
American Airlines. Don't ask me why. I just like them. I think that their early adoption of the 777 to make runs between London and the US hubs really clinched it for me.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I've got Delta. The hubby has Continental. I've got just about enough miles for a trip to Australia. Thank you, AmEx! :)

EDIT: We also got some miles through BA/American Airlines when we flew to India last Christmas.

Applespider

macrumors G4
BA for UK internal flights and some Euro flights tho more for the service/complimentary drinks than the mileage points since they're pretty minimal

BMI/Lufthansa to Germany using my United Mileage Plus account

Usually United if I'm going transatlantic since I've got lots of miles to aim for upgrades. But last couple of times have been Virgin/BA for the in-flight service options or the connection aspect if flying with folk outwith London.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
mad jew said:
Obviously Qantas, like any good Aussie. :p
I mostly travel American throughout Latin Am., but I really liked Qantas' service LAX-Sydney last year. And I met a lot of "good Aussies". :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
QANTAS, but I use a better way to get cheap tickets - my dad flies the planes. My trip last year involved a flight SYD->LAX and then JFK->LAX->SYD. Cost me A$99 for the lot.

Oh yeah.........1st class...:D

I've found QANTAS to be the best so far, Air Canada was OK but insanely overpriced, haven't found a US based airline that was great - they're OK but geeeze the flight attendants were rude, rude and totally uptight. You couldn't even joke around with them they just don't seem to understand all you're doing is trying to build a rapport.

Come to think of it, I've not found a US based-transport employee that wasn't totally cranky. In Boston, a lady manning the entry gate for the T just about did her nana when I asked for 4 quarters in exchange for a $1 note so I could use the pay phone. It was like I was asking for a kidney.
/rant

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Let's See:

Southwest Rapid rewards (duh)
US Airways/ Star Alliance Dividend miles
American AAdvantage
Whatever United's is
AirTran's A+ rewards
and Air Transat (canada) Club.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
American.

I don't know why I even bothered signing up to be a frequent flyer...I rarely fly (although that might change once I graduate and get a job). But when I do fly, it was always TWA, then American. Dunno, I guess because STL was a huge hub for TWA, and I just kinda went along with AA. We're not a hub anymore, but AA still seems to have more nonstop flights than anyone else.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
BA all the way. Pretty soon I'll have enough miles for a free return flight to the US :D

And by the end of the year I should hit Silver level that gives me access to the Business Class lounge no matter what class I am flying :D

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
I'm enrolled the AA program now that I travel with work.
(And no, not that AA program :rolleyes: )

However, I must say, compared to hotel points, frequent flier points accrue at a painfully slow rate.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
United Airlines.

They have the best rated frequent flier program. It's really generous. Especially when you reach the 1K level (which is really the 100K level).

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
tkidBOSTON said:
However, I must say, compared to hotel points, frequent flier points accrue at a painfully slow rate.

Yeah. I'm also a member of Marriot Rewards, and my Rewards points go into my frequent flyer account. I got 207 FF miles for spending 3 nights at Marriots on my little trip last weekend. Still waiting for my flight home to show up on my account, but I kinda doubt it will be that many miles. We'll find out soon enough.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I use continental's the most, as I can earn/redeem miles on CO, NW, and DL. I also have United MileagePlus for UA and US, but I hardly ever use that. Whenever I can though, I fly Midwest Airlines. They have the comfiest planes, Boeing 717's to most places with 2x2 leather seating (versus the regular 2x3). And fresh cookies on every flight!

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
In terms of number of flights, I fly Alaska the most often. I fly SJC-SEA quite regularly (often enough that some of the flight attendants recognise me), and they're always the cheapest on that route.

In terms of miles, I fly United the most. They've usually got the best fares for the travel that I do, and I fly enough that I always get a seat in Economy Plus.

I used to fly Delta when I lived in Atlanta. Now that I'm on the West Coast, they're not so useful anymore. I've still got a bunch of miles kicking around in that account, I should figure out a way to burn through them sometime.

Hotel-wise, I usually go for Hyatt and Marriott. Car-wise, it's always Avis.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
SkyTeam (includes KLM, AirFrance, Delta, Air Canada, Continental, Northwestern, Alitalia,...). I use to fly with Star Alliance(SAS, Lufthansa,...) but their frequent flyer program was terrible. Before that I use to fly with BA, but I switched after being marooned at Heathrow for a weekend due to some strike.
Btw, Flying dutchman doesn't exist anymore as a frequent flyer program. It is now flying blue/Sky Team.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
Virgin Atlantic baby! Everybody should - have you seen the clubhouse at Heathrow?! I'm in Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Although I fly BA a lot too as Dad(dy ;)) has too many airmiles for us not to use them all the time, though I'm not in their executive club because you have to be 18!

What's the deal with that? I pay full adult fare buy I can't be in the Exec club? :mad:

Uber

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Just AirTran's A+ Rewards program. They're really terrible about crediting points, too, I've had to email them every single time I've flown and complain.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I fly Jet Blue mostly.

Marriott Rewards which is awesome. I use it for business and pleasure and also have employees come to visit home office about 40-50 nights per year. I'm 7-8 nights away from a sweet 32" LCD TV.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Chundles said:
QANTAS, but I use a better way to get cheap tickets - my dad flies the planes. My trip last year involved a flight SYD->LAX and then JFK->LAX->SYD. Cost me A$99 for the lot.

Nice one. :cool:

I guess you've never flown Virgin Blue then? Me neither, but apparently the flight attendants on those flights are ridiculously fine.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Air Canada.

Wet Jet is my favourite though. I love the TVs in the seats :).

I'm not sure if you can change polls, but you have 'Canadian' listed which is no longer an airline. Air Canada is the canadian airline now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.