Frequent kernel panics (MBP, mid-2012)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JayneDoe, Jun 17, 2014.

1. JayneDoe, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

JayneDoe macrumors newbie

Over the last several weeks, since around the time I upgraded to Mavericks, I've been experiencing frequent kernel panics. More worryingly, yesterday my laptop refused to boot (not even turning on the display or spinning up the hard drive)and instead produced a series of three beeps (which I think is the beep code for "insufficient RAM"?). After resetting the PRAM, it booted normally and seemed to be functioning perfectly until it kernel panicked again this morning. Both AHT and MemTest86+ reported no hardware problems, which surprised me. I'd really appreciate any help in figuring out what's going on, because it makes me uncomfortable to just cross my fingers, back up my data regularly, and hope that the issue magically resolves itself.

I have a mid-2012 13-inch baseline MBP (2.5 Ghz processor, 2 x 4GB RAM, etc), running OS X 10.9.3. I'm not sure what other system information would be helpful.

Here's the log for the most recent kernel panic:
    I'd really appreciate any ideas! At this point, I'm just not sure what I should be investigating.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Three beeps is the code for bad RAM.

Did you happen to have any external drives attached when this happened?

This is not reported as the issue in your crash report, but I recall when Mavs first came out Soundflower was causes crashes like this. You might try removing it.

3. JayneDoe thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought, which confuses me because AHT and MemTest86+ both said that my RAM was fine - is it possible that there's just some very specific set of circumstances (which I haven't figured out yet) under which the RAM is failing?

I haven't had any external drives attached during any of the kernel panics or when it refused to boot.

Thanks for the tip re: Soundflower. I'll uninstall it and see if that helps.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I suppose so, but what is really worrying is that business about it not turning on the display. You may have more serious hardware issues at work here. :(

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Sounds like RAM to me, too.

I'm not completely sure about RAM requirements for that particular model but you could try to run off one stick of RAM at a time to see if one particular stick is causing the issue.