Frequent Locations Not Working Correctly

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Terrified, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Terrified macrumors regular

Wondering if anyone else is having this issue:

Frequent locations is switched on, and is definitely logging my journeys, but doesn't seem to be logging them all, or doing anything with the information.

The best example of this is my workplace. It seems to be sometimes logging the fact that I've arrived at work, sometimes not. It's listed as a frequent location, although nowhere near as many times as it should be there (something like 9 visits when it should be around 20). It seems though that a lot of the time, the service is definitely recognising that I'm travelling to work and back most days - however, I'm not getting any traffic info appearing in my Today view.

It's a little frustrating, as the traffic info would actually be very helpful to me (traffic varies really wildly on my journey), and would help me plan a little better when leaving the house. Anyone else having similar issues that they've managed to resolve?

**Mods - feel free to move if you feel this is better in the iPhone section.

2. It Is James macrumors member

From the mention of the traffic, I'm assuming you live in a big city.

Although I'm sure something that's going to be improved, I've heard similar stories of it not working in big cities, or any area where there are a lot of buildings close together. It seems the GPS cant' differentiate buildings when they are right next to each other sometimes.

3. Terrified thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I live in a satellite town. Weirdly though, I have to use a tunnel to get to work (Hi, fellow Tyne Tunnel users), and the traffic can vary massively at the same time each day depending on weather, accidents etc.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the tunnel usage - I lose signal completely for a short period whilst in there. It's just weird that it's logging the journey some days, but not others. And I'm only in the tunnel for around 3-4 minutes in a 20-25 minutes journey (most days), and the signal loss is usually for around a minute or so of that.

Just wish I could get to the bottom of it, as it would be amazing if I could just pull down NC and check the Today view prior to leaving the house to see whether I need to have that extra 10-15 minutes travel time.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

How long have you had iOS 7 and frequent locations turned on? It takes 2 full weeks to learn your driving patterns, and you should start seeing traffic info starting the 3rd full week you have iOS 7.

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Source for this apparently random 2 week value?

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Myself and many other people.

I've been using iOS 7 since day 1 of beta 1 (June 10, 2013). Two weeks went by, and nothing. The first day of week 3, bam, traffic info. Had to restore about half way through the beta process. Two weeks, nothing, day 1 of week 3, traffic info. Restored when the GM came out. Nothing for two weeks, traffic info the first day of week 3.

It takes time to learn your traffic patterns, it needs to know what you do monday, tuesday, wednesday, etc..to make sure it's not sporadic behavior or one-off trips to different locations. First week starts the data, second week confirms it.

7. johnnyZ macrumors newbie

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I find that interesting. I remember seeing for the first time: "It will take you x minutes to drive home"; I recall it was at the end of the first week.

Also, this feature is useless if you don't drive. If you prefer to take public transport, it's completely useless (unless you take lots of taxi drives). It'd be great to plug into some public transport app API. In Germany DB has a great app with realtime info on train/bus/subway/streetcar delays.

It'd be great to have real time info on the best public transport options to get home.

9. Terrified thread starter macrumors regular

I upgraded to the GM the day it was released, so around Sept 11th (from memory) I've driven to my workplace every weekday since then with the exception of around 3-4 days. So that should put me over the two week mark.

I think the problem might lie with the fact that some days it's simply not recognising that I went to work. I have no idea why that is.

10. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

I posted this from another thread.... hope it helps

...... I was getting frustrated at the frequently used locations not working and was starting to think there was something wrong with my phone.

I used to check my phone every morning to see if it would let me know how long it would take me to get to work, but alas.... Nothing.

Until I checked it 5 mins into my journey to work and there it was.....

Nice little touch is that from the notification centre screen if you touch the area where your travel ETA is it brings up maps with the traffic heavy roads highlighted in green, yellow and red.

from there you can get full directions to that location and I have to say it was more accurate than the Copilot App on my phone.

Just to make sure this wasn't a fluke I tried it while I was out with the wife at the weekend and it constantly gave me travel times back to the house.

So in short:

Make sure you have both home and work address's under you in your contacts.

Leave Frequent Locations on for 2 -3 weeks to allow it to store your travel habits.

Never check if it works while sitting either in your house or work, you need to be away from these locations for it to assume you are travelling.

These are only my findings so don't shoot me if you find it works differently to me.

All the Best

Beef

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Same for me.
    I keep it on, but I don't know if it's doing anything else than drain my battery a little more, because I can't see any results so far.