Frequent MDD Kernel Panics

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Mar 10, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

here is the log. Can anyone explain to me what the hell it means?

Attached Files:

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Looking at the Crash Log it looks like your Hard drive/ATA Bus is to blame :(

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

If that is the case than hopefully when i get a new SATA to IDE adapter or a Sil3112 SATA card to flash the problem will go away.....

4. jmmitc06 macrumors newbie

Did you try googling the problem? The query "ioatablockstorage kernel panic" returns this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1409581 which appears to be very similar to your problem.

Do you put the computer to sleep, that can cause this issue. Have you attempted to repair the disks, could be a corrupt disk, a bad hard drive or a bad controller? Have you tried booting into a different OS to see if you get a kernel panic then? There are many other steps to try before simply buying a new controller, I'm not convinced that it is necessarily a bad controller.

Also, in the future try to post the entire log or attach it. While it is easy to determine the direct cause of the error, the details in the rest of the log could be important.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

it locks up doing a permission verify (endless beachball). and will either freeze completely OR kernel panic while idle

6. jmmitc06 macrumors newbie

Okay, how many drives do you have installed on that card/interface? How are they configured (any RAID, I guess not)? Before buying and flashing a new card, I would try connecting each drive directly to the board if possible or to another computer to see if it is a bad drive (or drives) or a bad controller. Based on other HDD posts I saw that you have made, it seemed that one of the drives had a lot of errors on it (the HDD wount mount post), a bad drive could explain this too. Have you tried one drive at a time to see if it is one drive causing the problem.