Frequent open and close of screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlien, Jan 7, 2011.

1. charlien macrumors regular

I open and close my 2010 MBP a lot. Maybe 15 times per day. Am I running the risk of breaking a cable between the base and screen or something? Should I just set it down and let it run? I really like it and want to keep it for at least 3 years.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I wouldn't worry about it. My MBP has been opened and closed with probably as much frequency, and it is fine 3 1/2 years in.

Unless you're sitting with the mbp and repeatedly opening and closing it 10 times a minute, I think it can handle the wear and tear for a while.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, I guess it would depend on why you're opening and closing it.

If you carry your MacBook Pro around often, and need to shut/open it, that's probably fine. But if you're worried about breaking that cable, I would only shut/open it when necessary; if it's not moving from your desk, then it's probably best to keep it consistently open. I would get a dust cover, though.

4. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I travel constantly & have somewhat short meetings with clients. Mine gets opened & closed 25 to 35 times every day. I keep my Mac laptops about 18 months before replacing them. The hinges are just like new when I sell them.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am in the high open and close as well, least 10 a day. The most vulnerable laptop screen part that breaks first is generally the detachment button or plastic latch, which the MBP does not have, and the hinge used is pretty heavy duty. It's built for the long run.

6. charlien thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. That was a fast response. Guess I'm not alone. Thanks for the feedback:)

7. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Have noticed issues with Dell's/HP's and even Sony laptops after 1 year or so but no problems with my previous MBA I had for about 9months opening and closing a dozen times per day.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you do it carefully, it should last for many years without problems. My almost 3-year old MBP looks and runs like it did when I first took it out of the box.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I open and shut my lid probably more than 50x a day. No issues here.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't worry about it. I open and close mine pretty frequently as well. As long as you aren't being rough with it, that will not be an issue.