Frequent stalls/crashes in OSX 10.5.8

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by frag2, Sep 23, 2009.

1. frag2 macrumors member

Hello,
    I'm new here to this forum and I'd like to get some advice. I've had my 2008 macbook 2.4ghz-160gb since august of last year. I upgraded it to 4gb of ram in the early stages and had no issues till lately.

For the last week, almost daily, Id get the beachball for a long period of time. This happens most frequently when I surf the internet. Occasionally this may occur when i play music in itunes but that is probably due to my library being store on an external hd. With that being said though, as I mentioned, it most likely occurs when I surf the internet. Many times, its not just a browser crash but a system wide crash where my mouse can move but when i click anything in the background, it would have no effect (but my mouse can move still). Only way to 'resolve' this was to do a hard shutdown and restart by holding the power button for few seconds. Of course, this issue keeps happening and it pissed me off so I looked around the net to find some possible solutions and many sites claimed flash being an issue. I uninstalled flash and retested and the problem still occurred. Reading maclife, it mentioned about some fsck -fy thing during boot up so i ran that test and found no errors. Restarted again, did some surfing and still the problem.

This morning, I got the issue again and got fed up so I did an erase and install on the entire system. I only have leopard at the moment. i did the reinstall and updated to 10.5.8. Now on my computer, all i have installed is aMSN and skype. Using safari, I was browsing the internet and bam! the problem again. I uninstalled flash and restarted computer. The system still stalls but i havent got a crash yet. I just let the beachball go for about 30s and then i regain control. However, there are times where i would click a website to open to a new tab and get the beachball for 5s or so and then i regain control.

I tried to research some more and read here to try to do a repair disk permissions and stuff. At the moment, it is repairing disk permissions a second time. The current log has this:

=======
    Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Reading permissions database.
    Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanArrow.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanCheck.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanDisabled.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanArrow.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanCheck.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanDisabled.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Info.plist", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Info.plist", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS/JavaPluginCocoa", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS/JavaPluginCocoa", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Localizable.strings", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Localizable.strings", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/version.plist", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/version.plist", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions verification complete

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanArrow.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanCheck.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanDisabled.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanArrow.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanCheck.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanDisabled.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Info.plist", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Info.plist", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS/JavaPluginCocoa", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS/JavaPluginCocoa", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Localizable.strings", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Localizable.strings", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/version.plist", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/version.plist", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents", should be 80, group is 0.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions repair complete

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .

=========

Thats not good eh? I repaired the disk permission a first time, tried verifying and still had some issues. I havent run the repair disk yet (the smaller button right of repair disk permissions). Will it help if I click that?

What I'm afraid is that the hd maybe dying (fortunately i have applecare) and i might need to bring it to an applestore. I bought my macbook and applecare from canada but i now live in japan. i was told that global coverage is included. If i need to get repairs, i dont have to make an appointment at the store right? Can i just walk in, explain my issue and handover the laptop? would they need my power adapter too?

If it's likely a harddrive issue, I don't want to go through another reinstall (this time with SnowLeopard 10.6.0) when I know i need the drive replaced anyways.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. This problem has been pissing me off for the past week. its frustrating! Have any of you experienced this problem before?

Frag.

2. frag2 thread starter macrumors member

Just to add, here is a more recent log, about 45mins later and includes repair disk:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .

Permissions repair complete

I hope someone can help me out :(
    I think I may need to take it to applestore but I wanna see if its something I can fix before going.

3. frag2 thread starter macrumors member

Heres a log from the console right before a system crash and the reboot:

24/09/09 3:03:58 PM Skype[515] No defaults frame found for key SKSendVideoWndFrame
    24/09/09 3:08:57 PM kernel jnl: unknown-dev: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5
    24/09/09 3:08:58 PM /usr/sbin/spindump[600] process 421 is being monitored
    24/09/09 3:13:09 PM com.apple.launchd[71] (0x109ed0.Locum[604]) Exited: Terminated
    24/09/09 3:13:41 PM /usr/sbin/ocspd[609] starting
    24/09/09 3:22:42 PM /usr/sbin/spindump[618] process 605 is being monitored
    24/09/09 3:50:38 PM kernel npvhash=4095
    24/09/09 3:50:29 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed.
    24/09/09 3:50:29 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] fsck_hfs: Use the -f option to force checking.
    24/09/09 3:50:31 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
    24/09/09 3:50:31 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    24/09/09 3:50:31 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    24/09/09 3:50:31 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    24/09/09 3:50:31 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    24/09/09 3:50:31 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.x.privileged_startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    24/09/09 3:50:32 PM kextd[10] 424 cached, 0 uncached personalities to catalog
    24/09/09 3:50:42 PM kernel hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
    24/09/09 3:50:37 PM fseventsd[27] event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume. destroying old logs. (18906 11 19232)
    24/09/09 3:50:42 PM kernel PAE enabled
    24/09/09 3:50:37 PM fseventsd[27] log dir: /.fseventsd getting new uuid: B7BEDD9B-68D2-481B-996A-418D1C502D36
    24/09/09 3:50:42 PM kernel 64 bit mode enabled
    24/09/09 3:50:37 PM rpc.statd[18] statd.notify - no notifications needed
    24/09/09 3:50:38 PM bootlog[36] BOOT_TIME: 1253775026 0
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386
    24/09/09 3:50:42 PM DirectoryService[32] Launched version 5.7 (v514.25)
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
    24/09/09 3:50:42 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[23] Login Window Application Started -- Threaded auth
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel vm_page_bootstrap: 968782 free pages and 79794 wired pages
    24/09/09 3:50:42 PM DirectoryService[32] Improper shutdown detected
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel mig_table_max_displ = 79
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel 95 prelinked modules
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel calling mpo_policy_init for mb
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Seatbelt MACF policy initialized
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel MAC Framework successfully initialized
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel mbinit: done
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Security auditing service present
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel BSM auditing present
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: 30A8F515-8155-3BA8-B8C9-0A6A0D82DE2D
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel BTCOEXIST on
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel wl0: Broadcom BCM4328 802.11 Wireless Controller
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel 5.10.91.21
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 built-in now active, GUID 002241fffe4fec86; max speed s400.
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleICH8AHCI/PRT0@0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/FUJITSU MHY2160BH Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Customer@2
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel jnl: unknown-dev: replay_journal: from: 15265792 to: 400896 (joffset 0x4a8000)
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel jnl: unknown-dev: journal replay done.
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel [Bluetooth::CSRHIDTransition] switchToHCIMode (legacy)
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel [Bluetooth::CSRHIDTransition] transition complete.
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel [HCIController][configurePM] power parent ready after 1 tries
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel HFS: Removed 5 orphaned unlinked files or directories
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Jettisoning kernel linker.
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Resetting IOCatalogue.
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel GFX0: family specific matching fails
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel display: family specific matching fails
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Matching service count = 1
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Matching service count = 3
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Matching service count = 4
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel display: family specific matching fails
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacBook4,1)
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AppleTyMCEDriver::probe fails
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel GFX0: family specific matching fails
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel IntelMemory::init
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel IntelMemory::init
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel InitPool: offset= 0x08000000 size = 0x08000000
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel fRegisters at 0x64de8000
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8055 Singleport Copper SA
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AppleYukon2: RxRingSize <= 1024, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 1024, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 3328
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel yukon: Ethernet address 00:22:41:2a:6e:5e
    24/09/09 3:50:43 PM kernel AirPort_Brcm43xx: Ethernet address 00:21:e9:dc:6f:45
    24/09/09 3:50:46 PM mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-176.3 (Jun 17 2009 18:57:49)[22] starting
    24/09/09 3:50:46 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[19] Entering service
    24/09/09 3:50:46 PM kernel AirPort: Link Down on en1
    24/09/09 3:50:47 PM com.apple.usbmuxd[15] usbmuxd-176 built for iTunesNine on Jul 20 2009 at 13:06:53, running 32 bit
    24/09/09 3:50:47 PM configd[34] setting hostname to "eric-chaos-macbook.local"
    24/09/09 3:50:47 PM /usr/sbin/ocspd[59] starting
    24/09/09 3:50:47 PM kernel en1: 802.11d country code set to 'CA'.
    24/09/09 3:50:47 PM kernel en1: Supported channels 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 149 153 157 161 165 40 48 56 64 153 161 36 44 52 60 149 157
    24/09/09 3:50:48 PM kernel Auth result for: 00:1f:f3:f6:83:0b MAC AUTH succeeded
    24/09/09 3:50:48 PM kernel AirPort: Link Up on en1
    24/09/09 3:50:51 PM kernel display: Not usable
    24/09/09 3:50:52 PM loginwindow[23] Login Window Started Security Agent
    24/09/09 3:50:52 PM SecurityAgent[72] User info context values set for ericchao
    24/09/09 3:50:52 PM SecurityAgent[72] Login Window done
    24/09/09 3:50:52 PM loginwindow[23] Login Window - Returned from Security Agent
    24/09/09 3:50:52 PM loginwindow[23] USER_PROCESS: 23 console
    24/09/09 3:50:52 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[68]) Exited: Terminated
    24/09/09 3:50:52 PM com.apple.launchd[73] (org.x.startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    24/09/09 3:50:55 PM kextd[10] writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym
    24/09/09 3:50:57 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd[44] SFLSharePointsEntry::CreateDSRecord: dsCreateRecordAndOpen(Eric Chao's Public Folder) returned -14135
    24/09/09 3:51:00 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer[87] CPSGetProcessInfo(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    24/09/09 3:51:00 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer[87] CPSPBGetProcessInfo(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    24/09/09 3:51:03 PM [0x0-0xa00a].com.skype.skype[96] Main starting with pid 96 parent pid 73
    24/09/09 3:51:04 PM AirPort Base Station Agent[77] Could not connect the action connectToCancelClicked: to target of class Controller
    24/09/09 3:51:04 PM AirPort Base Station Agent[77] Could not connect the action connectToOKClicked: to target of class Controller
    24/09/09 3:51:04 PM AirPort Base Station Agent[77] Could not connect the action menuExtraOpenPrefs: to target of class Controller
    24/09/09 3:51:04 PM AirPort Base Station Agent[77] Could not connect the action connectToOpenPrefsClicked: to target of class Controller
    24/09/09 3:51:22 PM Skype[96] SkypeApplication::init called
    24/09/09 3:51:25 PM kernel BootCache: hit rate below threshold (5397 hits on 10795 lookups)

The issue is almost identical to http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2145018&tstart=15 on the apple board. However, no one seems to have an answer. I was talking to my brother in Canada for 40mins on skype with video and then i wanted to check something on safari (the window was already open with this very thread. i wanted to refresh it) but when i clicked safari, i got beachball. i could move mouse so i clicked aMSN. result? beachball. then activity monitor, which i had running and console, got me beach ball. my skype video froze but i could hear my brother. then that crashed and so i clicked finder. it took me to safari window....but of course the damn beach ball. all the while, i could move my mouse. i gave it 2-3minutes but gave up after that and did a hard restart.

Can anybody help me out? Please? :(:confused:

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I don't want to minimize the pain you're going through, but before you invest a lot of time and effort into solving this why don't you upgrade to Snow Leopard? It might very well erase your problem as well as give you the benefit of SL's other enhancements.

5. jeradclough22 macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I am having the exact same problem. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

thanks

Jerad

6. revbarabbas macrumors regular

OP should upgrade to Snow Leopard, see if that helps, it's $29.

Jerad, try repairing permissions and repairing the disk in diskutility and see if that fixes it.

7. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

upgrade to Snow Leopard or use your install disk to and repair disk.

8. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Most likely it might be the hard drive failing, go to apps > utilities > disk utility and select your hard drive and check smart status on the bottom of the window.
    And you should use the code option when making a post with that many code:p

9. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Call Apple. If a complete reinstall of leopard did not fix the issue, than upgrading WILL NOT either. You may have a faulty hard drive, and you can check that too.

It could be the logic board too. Call Apple. Just do it. Spending 30 dollars on snow leopard isn't going to help you if you have to replace your laptop.

10. jaelyn macrumors newbie

I had the same issue after upgrading to 10.5.8,

I went back to 10.5.6, runs sweet now.