Frequent system hangs with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freshnet, Aug 7, 2014.

1. freshnet macrumors newbie

I have had my MBP since January, and have had tons of problems with it. I initially got a replacement from Apple but it didn't make a difference. A couple of weeks back I restored it to factory settings and reinstalled everything, but I am still seeing issues.

The main issue is frequent hangs. This usually occurs when I am using the computer to do two things at once, e.g. playing a movie with VLC and using Firefox (but that might be just because that's what I do most of the time when I'm using the MBP, as sometimes it happens with just one application running). The browser will stop responding but the movie will keep playing. Sometimes the cursor will stop moving as well. If I try to right-click firefox in the dock to force quit, it darkens the icon (as it does when it would bring up the menu) but no menu ever appears. If I try to select any other application, the same thing happens. If I close the macbook and open it again, I just get a black screen and nothing happens. I usually wait a while, but the system never recovers and I always have to restart.

This issue happened twice today. Please let me know what information I can provide to help troubleshoot this. I have attached the system log from the first hang today (log from the second one is too big), but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I see a couple of things that could be problems:

process firefox[196] thread 2170 caught burning CPU!
    process firefox[196] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Attached Files:

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Has it ever happened when you weren't running firefox? (p.s. : who still runs firefox?)

3. freshnet thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure - I pretty much leave it running all the time. Are you recommending I switch to Chrome? Personally I hate Chrome, but if you think the browser is the cause I am willing to try it.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Given the very small amount of information provided, it seems like it could be an issue with Firefox or a firefox plugin. Personally I use Safari (primarily), but if you're anti-safari Chrome is a good way to go. I do use Chrome sometimes and have never had any sort of issue.

5. freshnet thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there further information I could provide that would help?

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Uninstall Sophos AV and use your system as usual to see if it still hangs.

(Anytime there are symptoms that you describe, and there is an AV product installed, my first suspicion is almost always the AV product, unless something else is obvious.)

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Try not using firefox as well and use safari. You don't need to stop using firefox but it's to see if it's causing the issue.

Same with the person above suggestion in removing the AV. You really don't need an antivirus program on a mac.