Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Hey all.

I own a Linksys Wireless G Router, with ADSL modem built in. Recently (last month or so) I have been experiencing a lot of wireless problems.

Scenario 1: I have full signal, but suddenly nothing gets through. All IM programs report no net connection, browser doesn't work, Mail says there is a connection problem. I turn the router off and then on again, and go back upstairs, it starts working again.

Scenario 2: I am working fine, full signal, and then suddenly I lose all signal, and nothing web related works. I turn the router off and on again, and it reconnects, everything is fine.

Scenario 3: I am working, full signal, when signal changes to 3. All net activity stops. Signal then moves to 1. Then nothing. Then full, then 3, then 1, then nothing. It does this for a minute or two, and then sticks on full reception, and my connection comes back.

In all these scenarios, the routers lights indicate everything is fine.

I am connected with BT, Broadband.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any help

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I had the same symptoms a few months back and worked out it was an ISP problem. They'd give me a bad IP so I'd have to reset it which means turning off the DSL modem and my AirPort Express for about thirty seconds. This may be very different for different ISPs so maybe talk to them about it. :)

Does resetting the router/modem always help? Do you run any P2P-style apps? :)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
mad jew said:
Does resetting the router/modem always help? Do you run any P2P-style apps? :)

Yes. And yes. :) Is this what your situation was?

Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, mine was purely an ISP issue. I don't use P2P apps or even have them installed but I've seen very similar symptoms on networks with P2P running.

I suppose it might be worthwhile trying a different P2P app or maybe changing the port the current app(s) runs on. :)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Thanks for your help. My network has been fine once I quit LimeWire. Hmm. Bloody LW. Thanks.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Just to state the obvious culprits...

I've got the same wireless setup (Linksys router), though not the LW.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you noticed whether some of the dropouts happen when someone's using a cordless phone or running the microwave? Both situations can reduce or kill my signal altogether.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
discoforce said:
I've got the same wireless setup (Linksys router), though not the LW.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you noticed whether some of the dropouts happen when someone's using a cordless phone or running the microwave? Both situations can reduce or kill my signal altogether.

Like I said, for me, it has been fine since shutting down Limewire. Only one incident of 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.