Fresh install asks for password

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by acwilson96, Mar 17, 2014.

1. acwilson96 macrumors newbie

I bought a second hand macbook off ebay and it wasnt as described. I fresh installed the system and left it at the setup and sent it back. The seller says it requires a password to install programs although I dont see how it can if I fresh installed, the only password it could be is a password I use for multiple account which I obviously cannot give him.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Either you created an account, and left the password - or the other person set up the user, and quickly forgot the password. (One really can't install new software, unless logged in to a user account, which you claim you didn't create)

Either way, there's several methods to clear or reset the user account password (assuming the owner doesn't have any OS X installer DVD). The simplest is to delete the .AppleSetupDone file, then a system restart will bring up the new user setup, and the owner can then set up a new admin account. When that's complete, they can delete the old admin account, and move on with the MacBook. Here's a site that explains how to do that…
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-73393-change-mac-admin-password-without-the-disk
    (send that link to the "new" owner :D )