fresh install: carbon copy cloner or time machine ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rb6, Sep 20, 2009.

1. rb6 macrumors newbie

hello people,

first of all, I'm not really experienced at archiving/backup files so just give me a "newbie-chance". I have a 1 year old unibody MBP and I mainly use it for audio works. I haven't kept it clean and now I'm having troubles with crashing while working. I've deciced to do a fresh install and start again.

I don't want to loose my samples / projects so I want to make a backup of my entire machine. I have a 250Go seagate bus-powered ext. hard drive which isn't used that much, I though I could use it. but I have a few questions:

1) what's the best way to do a fresh install ? I think it's to boot the laptop with the OSX DVD and hold the "C" key or something like that, is that right ??

2) but before the fresh stat, I want to backup my entire machine. what is the best tool to use, I'm not familiar with time machine, and I don't think I want to use it after the fresh install. I get the feeling it would somehow mess up with my audio works.

that's what I thought about CCC, it seems to have fairly good reputation and it's free (well, a donation-ware, if I'm not mistaken)... would it be better to backup with CCC ? or just use the time machine to backup the machine just one time and then do the fresh install ??

---------------------

as you can see, I'm a backup-noob, so please give me as much info as possible. thanks,

arbee

EDIT: BTW, I'm on leopard.

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If it is a one-time backup, I would use CCC. Time Machine is more for incrementally backing your machine up as files change. Once you get your system re-installed, I would turn Time Machine on, though unless you are good about running CCC once a week or so to keep a backup. You don't want your hard drive to fail and lose everything. Your machine is only a year old so the chances are nothing will happen for a few more years, but you never know.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you realize that using ccc will make your install the EXACT same as it is now right? thereby not cleaning anything up in a sense

4. rb6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do know that.

what I want to do is to backup the whole drive to make sure I don't loose anything. then, after the clean OSX install, I'll just re-install my stable softwares and import my projects... not installing again all the buggy / cheap / weird programs I "collected" over the last year.

does that make even sense ??

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Not to contradict all the advice you've just gotten, but in this case, I think Time Machine is perfect.

Your first TM backup will be a complete copy of your existing hard drive. After you run your install, you can enter the Time Machine and pick and choose what you want to restore. The one issue you *may* have is when you restore old software that's reliant on an invisible file to prove you have a proper license. If you know where it is and know how to get it back, it's not a problem. But the best bet is have all your license codes ready.

mt

6. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I would not go this route, CCC at least allows you to pick and choose what you want from within the folder structure. Finding things in time machine is impossible.

As for the registration info, it can almost all be migrated, with the exception of things like Office and CS3/4/5/etc. It is all stored in the local user's library under preferences. Just move the file to your new folder and the registration should come with it!