fresh install for snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alexboy45, Jun 16, 2009.

1. alexboy45 macrumors regular

I am thinking of doing a fresh install of snow leopard when it is released. what is the best way of backing up itunes and iphoto?

thanks

2. ethical macrumors 68000

In your pictures folder just copy the iPhoto Library icon.

In your Music folder just copy the iTunes folder.

Save them to an external source and put them back when you're done.

3. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Time Machine. Seriously, it makes that issue non-existent. Go buy yourself an extern HDD and do it up, you will not regret it.

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I was wondering about this - I have Time Machine all set up on my mac at the mo. If you restore from Time Machine is it still a clean install though? Or is it like an upgrade as it copies all your stuff back over (along with any cruft you have on your system)?

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Clean Install with migration from TM backup, or Archive & Install not requiring any backup material are the two "best" options to achieve what you want. TBH, a full fresh install, including all your apps & files will cost more in time and aggravation than any possible savings from a few file fragments. Unless you plan to examine and revalidate the need for every file and document on your system, just use one of the methods previously suggested.

6. eviltobz macrumors member

thats only entirely true if you have all of your library in a sub folder from here. if you have specified an alternate folder to store it (eg. a folder not in a user's directory so that all users of the machine can easily access it, or if you've stuck the data on a different partition) you'll need to copy both the library and the itunes folder that holds all the data about the files, although in the partition case it may then not be necessary.

also, if you've not had itunes set to copy files to its internal library all the time there may be files spread around your drive that wouldn't be backed up by this, so you need to run the consolidate library function before backing up.

7. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Erase and install, followed by manually transferring my files back. Upgrading previously was a bitch for me and it screwed up my system over time.