Fresh install? Help!

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Liam555, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Liam555 macrumors regular

Liam555

How do I do a fresh install of yosemite on my laptop. I don't want all my files from mavericks on yosemite. Do I have to do a factory reset on mavericks (and reinstall mavericks), then download yosemite after that? Or is there an easier way of just downloading yosemite and telling it that I want a factor reset at the same time. :confused:

2. SanFran95 macrumors member

SanFran95

Think I would just create a new user account, and delete the original account. After that install Yosemite on the new user account, and then reinstall - waste of time to reinstall Mavericks first! But read this thread about reinstalling: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1757780

Notice: I wouldn't do a clean install with beta software - wait till the final release :)

3. Liam555 thread starter macrumors regular

Liam555

Cheers! ;)

4. janitor3 macrumors regular

Partition your hard drive, name the partition Test, and install to there.
    Then, when starting laptop, choose which one to boot from, either Mavericks or Yosemite.

5. Liam555 thread starter macrumors regular

Liam555

I don't want Mavericks on my Macbook anymore. I've tested Yosemite on my HHD for a few weeks now, and feel that the Beta is stable enough for my main OS. I'd rather start with a clean install though, as i've messed up my laptop with random files and apps.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

If you wish to do so, create a Yosemite install USB and then run from that. Use Disk Utility in the installer and wipe the drive.

7. Liam555 thread starter macrumors regular

Liam555

Yeah, I think il do that. :)