Fresh Install: How to put Apps on boot and users on 2nd drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Jan 11, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Hi,

As we are the only ones with multiple internal drives, I thought it best to ask here rather than in OS X or Help

I want to do a fresh install of Leopard on my new mac pro with my applications on my boot drive with the system, and my admin account and user account on a 2nd drive (documents really).

How can I do this during the install? Also, if I install my software from my regular user account, it will ask for an admin password and also install the apps in a central applications directory, not in my account only, is that right?

Anything else that I should watch out for? If I want to raid 1 my user drive (drive 2) with my drive 3, can I do that after I have done the install? If not, there would seem to be a bit of a catch-22 there.

My 2nd and 3rd drives should be here any minute!

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I don't think you can move the user accounts to a second drive during the install but you can move them to the second drive after.

What I think you need to do is install normally. Boot up and set up the raid and lastly move the user accounts over to the raid drives.

However, moving the user accounts to a different drive is not easy and I don't have the instructions handy right now.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Thank you. If that is the only way (i.e. moving after install) then yet another kind forum member posted instructions the other day. Thanks for the response!