Fresh Install (iTunes Help)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tylersail, Oct 16, 2007.

1. tylersail macrumors newbie

Hi I'm really excited to have Leopard in a week and a half, but I have a dilemma. I really want to do a clean install on my mbp BUT i have a ton of music/tv shows/album artwork that I don't want to lose. Anyways, how can I take my 4473 songs, playlists, album art and move it all to an external then to my fresh os? thanks.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I use CCC to make a back up of all my files. It's really easy and you can choose what you want to back up.

3. trippr macrumors member

trippr

would the archive and install not do this..

this is what i am looking to do as well..

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Its not supposed to delete the files but its always good to have a back up you never know what me go wrong. When I had taken my Apple to the store for repair they didn't want to do it till I had backed up the data.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I've just ordered Leopard and I am now working on a list of things to do to help with a clean 'clean install'. On a 10.X update I do a totally clean install.

Right now I am backing my iPhoto and iTunes libraries upto my 1TB external. 400GB of data will take a while though :D

Once I have backed all my data up to my external and installed Leopard I will transfer my libraries back to where I want them to reside, then upon launching iTunes, iPhoto etc I will hold down 'option' (alternate for you windows peeps) and I will be asked to choose a library to open or create a new one. Navigate to your recently transfered library and click open. Boom! Everything as it was (artwork and all) on your new Leopard machine. You will most likely need to Re Authorize your iTunes purchases though.

Hope this helps.

PS Remember to move the actual library folder, not just the contents of the folder. HD/Users/*yourhomefolder*/music/iTunes

6. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Absolutely... just copy the "Music" folder out of your user directory to your external drive. Everything iTunes uses (songs, database, artwork, shows) is stored in that directory (Music/iTunes to be specific)...