fresh install of Leopard...way slower than Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mpulsive81, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Ok so i finally made the jump and upgraded to Leopard. It was a clean install, didn't go the "upgrade" route. I'm really enjoying a lot of the new features like spaces, time machine, and bootcamp but everything just seems to run so much slower than it did on Tiger. It just seems like such a memory hog. Is this lag normal? I was using parallels on tiger and it ran great, now I'm on a trial of vm ware fusion and it just keeps hanging. I thought maybe it was just the program itself, but i'm noticing that having too many things open now really affects it. For instance, having adium, safari, & itunes open at the same time, my system will beachball for about 10 -15 seconds. I've maxed out my memory (2gb) and have a 320gb 5400 hdd. Any ideas?

2. DMBGuru macrumors regular

It seems to me like there was something wrong with your install... or maybe your hard drive? There's no reason you shouldn't be getting the same speeds as you did with Tiger, if not faster..

Have you verified and repaired our hard drive?

3. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

An issue with the hdd has crossed my mind, which is why i went out and got an external to hurry and clone it *just in case*. But tiger ran flawlessly on the same hdd. I'm well aware of the difference between Tiger & Leopard as far as boot time is concerned, that part doesn't bother me. I went in and repaired disk permissions, verified disk, and ran the daily, weekly, & monthly maintenance scripts. Still, it seems my multitasking ability has been affected.

I'm also wondering if it's just VMWare Fusion itself that's lagging my system. I need to be able to boot into Windows when I *work from home* so having a virtual Windows is great. I have thought about bootcamp, but I really enjoy being about to bounce back n forth between windows and mac (coherence mode is especially great) Like I said, parallels was perfect, but I wanted to test Fusion because I didn't like Parallels putting files all over my system (i had an .lnk file for the sample music & sample pictures in finder) and everyone had such great things to say about it. It took me almost ALL DAY to install leopard and redownload and/or install all my programs, i'd hate to think i'd have to do it again. iUseThis was invaluable to me in that respect, i don't know how I would've kept up with everything I needed to install again otherwise. Also, I've got about 245gb of space left, so i'm not running low on space.

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

It's quite possible that VMWare is lagging your comp, but it sounds to me like it could just be spotlight indexing your drive.

5. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

i use spotlight pretty often (never really got the hang of quicksilver) and i know the first time i hit command + space to open it i got a popup saying that spotlight was indexing my files, how long would the indexing go for? I was under the impression that the indexing was a 1 time thing.

6. macgirl82mjn macrumors member

macgirl82mjn

It's probably just spotlight acting up, it did the same thing to me for about 4 hours when I upgraded. I'd say let it sit there running for a while and see what happens. It will still do it for about 15 minutes every few months now.

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

If you are using a virtual machine (VM), make sure you exclude the VM files from time machine - every time a bit changes in the VM, TM will have to back up the whole thing (a few GB, I'd think). Also, consider removing the VM files and TM from the spotlight indexing.

First time indexing can take a few hours (depends on how many files there are and file sizes) - this is something new to 10.5.5, so not many are aware of it - especially if there are external drives present to index. If the spotlight's magnifying glass has a spot in the middle that is slowly blinking, indexing is active.

Also, upgrade to the latest version (10.5.5) using the Combo updater - I'd recommend not using the SoftwareUpdate from the Apple menu since there are occasional problems. After a day or two of use, if the system is still slow, there may be other issues (open Applications -- Utilities -- Console.app and leave it open - it might give you some hints on problem areas).

8. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have 10.5.5 and everything's updated. I'm wondering if *this* could be the reason my system seems so busy:

[​IMG]

notice my internet is dropped off about twice per minute on average? mind you, this is with me running an open network with no WPA or WEP. Even as i'm typing this, i've seen my airport flicker off and back on, it only loses connection for a couple seconds before coming back online...i believe it's a firmware issue since I just went back to my clone hdd of tiger 10.4.11 and there's no log of airport issues

9. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Try setting up VMWare to use Host-Only networking and see if that changes the situation (or just kill off the networking in VMware to test). Another thing to try is to update the router firmware.

10. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

At the time I took that screen shot I didn't have anything other than Safari. (VM wasn't running) I opened up the console log in my g/f's macbook and she doesn't seem to have the same issue and I didn't have the same issue when I booted into my tiger clone, so everything's starting to point to my leopard install. Could a reformat/reinstall potentially resolve the issue? It took me HOURS to redownload & install all my programs so i'd like to avoid that if possible. But if I must, I must. Thanks for your help and ideas thus far...i'm starting to get somewhere (even if i'm not liking the answer lol)

11. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Try setting VMware for Host Only networking anyway and reboot and see if there is a change (even when the VM itself is not running).

Have you done a permissions repair? (Applications -- Utilities -- DiskUtility and permissions repair it will take quite a bit longer to run than on Tiger).

If you think the VM is the problem, I believe you can archive the VM file (the virtual disk) and them uninstall VMware to test if that is the problem (and later reinstall it and copy the virtual disk over from the archive to have your virtual machine).

If you want to start over, you can actually do an "Archive and Install" and restore all your settings, so you won't need to reinstall everything manually.

Other remedies to try:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7505811�