Fresh install of Mojave without EFI video card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smirk, Jan 8, 2019.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hi, I have a working Mojave installation on my MP 5,1, but I want to create a fusion drive and reinstall the OS from scratch. Is this possible with an RX560 installed (no boot screen)?

I'm guessing I use the createinstallmedia tool to create a USB installer. Do I then select it as the startup disk from the Startup Disk system preference? Once in the installer, can I get to a terminal to create the fusion drive? Or is there no video at that point?

Thanks!

2. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Hold C to boot from the USB installer, no boot screen required.

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

It can take a long time for a screen to appear, patience is the key here. I timed various scenarios when doing this myself and it took on average 3 minutes before anything appeared on screen.

4. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Thank you!

I ended up changing the startup disk to the USB installer, and everything worked great. And yeah, wow, nothing but a black screen for minutes until the installer came up (wish we had USB 3, that's for sure).

5. JeffPerrin macrumors 6502

JeffPerrin

Curious... would it be possible to install via USB 3 PCIe card? (My gut feeling says it's probably not safe)

6. skizzo macrumors regular

I could not create a USB installer through my USB 3.0 card. Therefore I am assuming you could not use a USB 3.0 card for installation either

7. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

USB 3 card only initialise by OS level driver but not the cMP’s BootROM. Therefore, you can never boot from it.

Unless someone figure out how to hack the cMP BootROM (like what we did before the 140.0.0.0.0 to facilitate NVMe boot), this won’t be an option for cMP users.

8. nicko3.0i macrumors newbie

nicko3.0i

If you still have the old EFI card, I posted today how to do it :)

9. Generic_bug macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am on a Mac Pro 3,1 with an unflashed 750 Ti, running Sierra 10.12.6. Whatever I do, I can't boot from a usb drive. I can't even use single user mode. I used mojave patcher from dosdude and while I am able to select the usb drive from startup disk on system preferences nothing happens when the computer restarts except for a black screen. I tried 3 times and waited from 15 to 20 minutes and still nothing. In order to do a clean install of macOS Mojave, is my ONLY OPTION to put back my original EFI-flashed GPU and after the installation of Mojave change the GPU again ? I ordered a used Nvidia Quadro k5000 which is officially metal supported. I just need some guidance regarding the steps I need to follow in order to do a clean install of macOS Mojave on my PCIe AHCI SSD. Thank You, In Advance.

10. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

You should ask your question in the macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread thread, not here.

11. naerct macrumors member

naerct

I have used the Sonnet 4 port USB3 PCI card and a card which has both eSATA and USB3.1 gen2. None of the USB3 ports work, you need to plug it into one of the USB2 ports on the computer but it should work with a USB3 drive, with USB2 speed. Both the USB/SATA split card and the Sonnet card have eSATA3 ports, which will work as long as you can power them. Besides SSDs usually get speeds around 550MB/s with these eSATA3 ports, but booting from USB2 ports gets around 25MB/s.
    You don't need the EFI to upgrade from the video card, just a long time if you're using onboard USB. What you need is the full fresh version of the installer FROM APPLE Store, about 6GB. Start the update, and it should reboot with instructions how to do the bootRom. If it reboots and, asks you to do the upgrade, STOP, the flash to 140, or later didn't work.. That happened to me, but I didn't have to start over, I just ran the latest installer again, and this time it worked fine. Do not use any beta upgrades as one of them has a problem that can brick a single processor cMP. Check out the "cMP upgrade site" for more details. http://blog.greggant.com