Fresh install of Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uneeko1ne, Oct 22, 2018.

1. uneeko1ne macrumors member

uneeko1ne

so Ive done a fresh install of Mojave, but I ran the disk drill program and found a ton of old pictures/images from old work Ive done still on my computer somehow, is there any programs that'll deep clean so those files aren't just sitting in my HDD? thanks in advance

2. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

You may be mistaken...if you are worried about space or performance.

If this is a spinning HD, then yes, even after you format the drive, a data recovery tool (like Disk Drill) may still be able to recover data from the previous format.

It is looking at a "ghost" on the disk; those old files are not visible to or interacting with the new OS. No space is lost, nothing that will affect performance.

The only thing to worry about....is if the CIA (or some other serious threat) is after your old data AND they can get phyiscal access to your computer (like steal it from you) then THEY could run data recovery tools and get your old data.

3. uneeko1ne thread starter macrumors member

uneeko1ne

Awesome, I just thought it was using memory not really worried about the CIA unless they want a bunch of art webpage designs lol thank you for the reply

4. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Yep. If you want to see everything on your drive as it is currently formatted, there are few nice tools that show and sort everything, including invisible files. I like Omni Disk Sweeper. Free, no nags, simple to use. Click a drive to scan/sweep, and it will show every file sorted by size.

Be careful about deleting anything that you are unsure what exactly it is; best to just run it for info.

5. hassel macrumors member

Also if you want permanent deletion of old files then run the ATA secure erase command in Parted Magic.

6. uneeko1ne thread starter macrumors member

uneeko1ne

Thank you