Fresh Install of OS X - Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrmeister, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mrmeister macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm about to run a fresh install of OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard, because my MBP has became really slow and laggy: startup and shutdown are most noticeable, but general programs like Safari and Mail etc. are also slower.

This is due to software/various 3rd party program updates that I have downloaded and no longer want/need.

My question is: I have a Time Machine hard drive and I would like to continue using this, as although there are files that I don't want, there are also quite a few that I do want and some that I might end up needing in the future, but don't want them on my MBP hard drive. So;

1. If I was to fresh install Snow Leopard, would Time Machine think I was using a new mac and erase everything?

2. If it works as normal, will it back up absolutely everything I put on, even if it's the same as what is currently on, therefore taking up a lot of space? and if so how do I delete them?

Thanks in advance
    mrmeister

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1.Everything you have there will remain the same, it'll just make a new backup which includes what you currently have there but all old files will remain.

2. It will only backup files you don't already have backed up so it won't take much space

3. mrmeister thread starter macrumors regular

All good,
    Thanks for the quick response
    mrmeister