Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronoafc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Someone I was speaking to from another firm mentioned he'd bought a macbook pro (refurbished) it had come on 10.7. Now he wanted to wipe the machine and put 10.7 back on however he didn't have the download/disk or anything.

I told him to use internet recovery to erase the disk (which he wanted to do) then install from there. Is this right or would there be a better way to do this? Would he be able to just install 10.7 from internet recovery without having purchased (himself) in the past, would the macbook remember that it came on 10.7 and just install it?

Thanks

djfmf

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
I just did this recently with my refurb. took out the stock 500gb, put in a blank 120gb ssd and used my wifi to download a new mountain lion osx. very clean and quick install, wish windows had this type of feature.

aaronoafc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
would it be possible to do this with Lion though, as you can no longer get copies of Lion can you? (except through internet recovery?)

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
would it be possible to do this with Lion though, as you can no longer get copies of Lion can you? (except through internet recovery?)

Yes. The Internet recovery feature was new when the 2011 models came out with Lion. If it doesn't work they can create a thumb drive with the recovery disk assistant. All you need is a thumb drive with 1Gb of space....
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

If you do Internet recovery it will give you whatever version came with the machine... Lion in your friend's case. It is linked to the serial number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.