Fresh Install or Just Upgrade with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by livingonvideo13, Sep 2, 2009.

1. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Are there any advantages of doing a Fresh Install instead of just upgrading the current OS when installing Snow Leopard?

Just upgrading is a lot easier since you do not have to reinstall all your programs, settings, etc. but I wonder if there might be performance issues.

I did the upgrade option on my Mini Mac that is media server when installing SL and have had PLEX freeze a few times and thinking about doing a fresh install to see if that helps.

My imac though I really want to avoid of having to reinstall all my programs and getting the settings correct again.

I understand if things don't work correctly, then do a fresh install of SL. My concern is if I do the upgrade path, things will work fine, but I might have had better performance if I did a clean install but would not really know since I could not compare the two.

Just wondering if anybody had performance issues when doing an upgrade instead of doing a clean install.

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

There are already like 20 other threads on this with a lot of helpful responses. If you do a quick search of "+SL +fresh" you will find plenty of info.

3. alleycat macrumors regular

it doesn't make a difference. My experience is that crashes and burns either with a clean install or upgrade.

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Crawl back under your rock already. I have had zero crashes under SL. ZERO.

5. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I would recommend a clean install, I did that and SL has worked great, no bugs or crashes and noticeable performance increase.