Fresh Install or upgrade/back up

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jrcsh6, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

This is a more broad question than just going to iOS7.
    Is there a reason to NOT just upgrade and to do a fresh wipe and install of iOS?
    Does the backup retain "bugs" and "errors"?
    I think I'd read in the past it does keep all the "character" acquired such as errors that stay hidden from the user (that apple techs access at the store)

I'm not looking for "My phone SEEMED better after..." but actually proof one way or another on the matter.

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Just back up your phone, upgrade, then restore from the last backup of iOS 6 you made before trying the Betas.

Yeah, you'll be a bit "behind", but it's probably better than starting from scratch, and you won't have any of the crud generated by beta testing.

That's what I plan to do!

3. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

Not regarding beta's, the actual release. I've not stepped up to a "Beta User" as tempting as it's been over the years.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

If you've not played with the betas, then just go ahead and upgrade. No need to restore unless you actually have a problem.

I figured by "bugs and errors" you meant iOS 7 bugs. :)

5. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

Yea I've got ya. I took in one iPhone and the comment was made that I should do a fresh wipe and start from scratch due to some errors. I just didn't know if that had been remedied as it was a few years back. Backups shouldn't store that junk but I'm guessing it was/is too embedded in the other stuff that is to be saved.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I think there are different ways a user's data could get corrupted, some which might end up persisting through a restore from backup, and some that don't.

If your phone has been acting flaky a lot, then it might be better to wipe and start from scratch. For me, the biggest pain is simply having to reorganize all my apps into folders again, but it's not that big a deal.

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

But to the OP's question, does anyone have any actual proof that starting from a fresh install is any better than simply upgrading to the GM or final release?

What "bugs" or "issues" has anyone ever seen or been able to document coming over from a beta version that wasn't fixed in an OTA update to a GM? :confused:

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

No, it is just good practice.

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't think OP was talking about bugs or issues in the OS, he was talking about errors or corruption leading to his own phone acting flaky.

10. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

My phone hasn't acted up.
    I did have one that did and the fix was to start fresh. According to the apple store people. That lead to me wondering am I better off with a fresh io7 or syncing to the backup in iTunes to load up when ios 7 comes along on the 5s.

Does that make sense?